FETS as volt. controlled resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftRights

I want to use a FET as a Voltage controlled resistor for the RC circut in a monostable multivibrator. With the FET handle 5v? What kind of FET handles the most voltage? Is there anything that I can use that will handle 5V.

Also, the multi- vibrator is already there so I can't replace it with anything (ie VCO's).

Help would be greatly appreciated.

While it's true that a FET can be used as a VCR, they only work well in small-signal applications. For large signals such as those encountered in a multivibrator, I don't think you will be pleased with the results. A voltage-controlled current source is a much better choice. What type of monostable multivibrator (AKA one-shot) are you using? Can you post an IC part number, or better yet, a schematic?

Oh yeah and FYI, you can get FETS that handle from 10V to many thousands of Volts so don't worry 'bout that.

Optikon said:
Oh yeah and FYI, you can get FETS that handle from 10V to many thousands of Volts so don't worry 'bout that.

is this true? can they handle +/-5v working as voltage controlled resitors? I heard that they were limited to millivolts...

As I said previously,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…