Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FET driver IC question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well spotted, Ron.

Going back to your post #1 question; yes, if Vcc is changed then the gate drive voltage will change by approximately the same amount, for either IC. In the case of the IR2110, though, Vcc must stay above 10V to prevent the under-voltage lockout acting.

OK, thanks, and understood. I tested the amp with the IR2110 and that indeed is the case, just under 9.4 V it drops out.

Looking at the schematics and scope pictures, I think the 12V has serious ripple on it. Caused by a lack of capacitors on the 12V at the IC. There needs to be a 0.01 to 0.1uF cap at the IC and about 100uF high current cap some where near the IC.

This looks like a RF project, where two feet of wire going to a supply will act like an inductor. Some wire and a 0.1uF cap can resonate at the transmitting frequency and cause strange problems.

Hi Ron, the schematics are not 100%, ages ago I added 0.1uF ceramics directly at Vcc pins, and a 1uF tantalum and a 100uF electrolytic on the 12V supply right near the chips. But would this ripple, if indeed that's what it is, come and go as Vcc was raised and lowered? Surely it would be present all the time? Many thanks for the replies.

I think you should measure the drain voltage at both fets at the same time, see how they turn on and off and if they aren´t both on at the same time.

Hi Ron, the schematics are not 100%, ages ago I added 0.1uF ceramics directly at Vcc pins, and a 1uF tantalum and a 100uF electrolytic on the 12V supply right near the chips. But would this ripple, if indeed that's what it is, come and go as Vcc was raised and lowered? Surely it would be present all the time? Many thanks for the replies.
No, the ripple would not be due to the Vcc. I'm not sure what's causing the ringing at both higher and lower voltages, but not 6V though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back