Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ferric chloride disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for someone's "right" to poison you, better get on down to the sewage treatment plant tonight! Tomorrow might be too late! They use FeCl by the ton (literally) to control corrosivity, settle solids, and control odor. As a responsible adult (which apparently you are the only one here) it is your duty to do something. (I don't know what, but do it anyway).

I just checked another MSDS for a shocker: MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. Chemical: table salt!

In fact, compare the overdose hazards of FeCl and NaCl, and you'll find remarkable similarities. Surprised? Electrolyte balance is critical to life.

I was probably thinking of cuprics msds my bad. But since someone wants to argue to the death for their "right" to poison me, my kids and the environment:

All those nasty thing happen if you take it in large quantities.

Ingesting small amounts of dilute ferric chloride isn't going to do you much harm.

If you splash it on your skin wash it off.

You only need to worry if it gets into your eyes.

I guess it was a silly question now I think about it. However, when it comes to what does what in chemistry you only have to remember solubilities. Copper Carbonate is insoluble and so it precipitates. Simple really.

Mike.

But why does the copper carbonate form in the first place instead of remaining as copper chloride and Sodium carbonate? Electronegativities? It's been so long lol.

Last edited:
But why does the copper carbonate form in the first place instead of remaining as copper chloride and Sodium carbonate? Electronegativities? It's been so long lol.

The compounds are dissolved and therefore 4 separate ions. They randomly recombine into the four possible compounds CuCl2, Na2CO3, CuCO3 & NaCl. When they combine into a non soluble salt (CuCO3) it precipitates. Why CuCO3 is insoluble is a different matter.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back