Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ferric chloride disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
RonH said:
ONLY flush it if you have ABS drain pipes if you have copper pipes WATCH OUT!!!

Ron

Oh yeah, thats stuff eats away at copper doesnt it? Teehee....
Umm, I suppose that if you do have large amounts, you could add lots of water to dilute it and then flush..
I suppose in a diluted form it would help clean out yopur copper pipes as an added benefit!
Poor it down the drain and keep that water flowing for 10-20 minutes and it should be fine.

I don't know about your area but here once a month the city has a hazardous product drop off day at the dump, keep it in a plastic container and drop it off if you have the same.

Ronh

Argh

do not do not do not pour ferric chloride down the drain. Used ferric chloride is a deadly poison and carcinnogen. People doing stupid things like this are why cities and states outlaw a lot of hobbyist activities and who can blame them. If you like birds, bees, children walking around without the danger of being poisoned or developiing cancer take it to the dump and ask them (they probably have a hazardous waste program) or there are methods that precipitate most of the copper out and turn it to a solid or sludge which can be disposed of.

I guess disposing ferric cloride (used for copper etching) off in a sink is not the best way concerning environmental considerations. :rolleyes:

The etched copper sulfate contained in the solution is highly poisonous which you can prove easily by watering your favorite plant with it. :D

You might go two ways: Either take the solution to a hazardous goods disposal or neutralize it before pouring it into the sink. :)

Boncuk

I know this post was nearly 5 years old and long forgotten before it was bumped but don't whatever you do try and mix it with one coat plaster to solidify it.

If you're curious to what it does then try it but make sure you have plenty of space and do it outdoors ......

People are so paranoid about this stuff. They sell Copper Sulphate as a root remover, intended to be poured down the drain. We routinely pour salty solutions down the drain. So why is copper chloride a problem?

If you're still not convinced and you really want to be extra friendly to the environment then mix in some sodium carbonate (or bicarbonate - baking powder). The copper will precipitate as copper carbonate. Pour it through a paper towel and throw it in the trash.

Did none of you guys do basic chemistry?

Mike.

Did none of you guys do basic chemistry?

Mike.

Pshh. That's like asking a chemist if he knows his circuits. To be honest, I don't quite remember why the Copper chloride in the presence of sodium carbonate would recombine to produce copper carbonate and NaCl. WAs it to do with the the elements having the highest electronegativities having priority to form compounds with each other, leaving the remainders to form compounds with each other. Right now, I'm not sure which pairs had the strongest (highest) electronegativity difference- Na and CL or Cu and carbonate.

Last edited:
Used ferric chloride is a deadly poison and carcinnogen.
Who told you that?

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Of course drinking the stuff wouldn't do you any good but that's only because large amounts of copper is bad for you.

Pshh. That's like asking a chemist if he knows his circuits. To be honest, I don't quite remember why the Copper chloride in the presence of sodium carbonate would recombine to produce copper carbonate and NaCl. WAs it to do with the the elements having the highest electronegativities having priority to form compounds with each other, leaving the remainders to form compounds with each other. Right now, I'm not sure which pairs had the strongest (highest) electronegativity difference- Na and CL or Cu and carbonate.

I guess it was a silly question now I think about it. However, when it comes to what does what in chemistry you only have to remember solubilities. Copper Carbonate is insoluble and so it precipitates. Simple really.

Mike.

Hero

Please read the MSDS sheet which you will notice by the way says Ferric Chloride is a Carcinogen. As other posters said the copper particulates and solutions are lethal to wildlife. I like living stuff so i try not to poison it. Especially with poisons that recycle in nature to do continual damage.

Pommie cupric chloride and cupric sulfate are completely different molecules. You eat sodium chloride but sniff some pure chlorine and your'e going to the emergency room. But im MUCH more concerned about FCL as ideally you shouldnt be throwing out cupric at all but instead recycling it and saving yourself some money to boot.

PS i only responded to such an OLD post because it gets top hits on google for some searches and i dont want newbies pouring gallons of FCL down the drain.

Please read the MSDS sheet which you will notice by the way says Ferric Chloride is a Carcinogen.
No it doesn't.

It's says it's not a carcinogen.
FERRIC CHLORIDE
Code:
  --------\Cancer Lists\------------------------------------------------------
                                         ---NTP Carcinogen---
  Ingredient                             Known    Anticipated    IARC Category
  ------------------------------------   -----    -----------    -------------
  Ferric Chloride (7705-08-0)             No          No            None
Even if it was slightly carcinogenic, there's no need to panic, lots of things are mildly carcinogenic, even alcohol is.

The main hazard is its corrosiveness, second is the iron which is only toxic in large doses.

Just take the same precautions as you would with any other nasty chemical such as bleach, wear gloves and, if there's a chance you could easily splash it into your eyes, goggles.

Flushing pure ferric chloride down the drain shouldn't cause a problem providing it's diluted enough, it's used in the sewage treatment plant and will be removed anyway. Most sewage pipes are iron or ceramic and will not be corroded by ferric chloride.

The real problem is used ferric chloride which is part copper chloride; this shouldn't be thrown down the sink. The correct way of dealing with it is by mixing with baking soda as already mentioned.

The main safety hazards of used ferric chloride are it's corrosiveness (caused by any unused ferric chloride) and copper which is more toxic than iron. Again, just take the same precautions as you would with any other nasty chemical.

Still there's no need to panic, both copper and iron are essential nutrients at small concentrations.

Iron(III) chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I think the best way is put it outside in the sun to let the water evaporate then dispose of the solid in the trash.

I guess it was a silly question now I think about it. However, when it comes to what does what in chemistry you only have to remember solubilities. Copper Carbonate is insoluble and so it precipitates. Simple really.
Simple if you know chemistry and solubilities.

Ohms law is simple too (really simple) but there are hundreds of posts from people who don't seem to understand it at all.

Hmm

I was probably thinking of cuprics msds my bad. But since someone wants to argue to the death for their "right" to poison me, my kids and the environment:

Ferric chloride - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information
Check out the environmental toxicology.

The MSDS sheet was written by a major chemical manufacturer btw.

There is apparently not enough evidence either way on either Cuprous or Ferric chloride in relation to whether they are carcinogenic.
Ferric chloride - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information
(search also for cupric)
There however is ample evidence they can be potentially Fatal and that
Organic Copper compounds are highly environmentally toxic.

Then theres:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/06/75069.pdf
<i>6 HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE:
SYMPTOMS OF INGESTION: MAY CAUSE ABDOMINAL PAIN. PROLONGED
VOMITING MAY BEGIN UP TO ONE HOUR AFTER INGESTION OF EXCESSIVE
QUANTITIES OF SOLUBLE IRON SALTS. HEMATEMESIS, DEHYDRATION,
SHOCK, PALLOR, CYANOSIS, HYPOTHERMIA, VASOMOTOR INSTABILITY,
AND COMA MAY FOLLOW. <b>IF DEATH IS NOT IMMEDIATE, IT MAY OCCUR
1-3 DAYS LATER</b>. SURVIVORS MAY DEVELOP REVERSIBLE HEMORRHAGIC
HEPATIC NECROSIS. GASTRIC SCARRING MAY OCCUR AFTER 4 WEEKS.
PYLORIC STENOSIS AND MILD HEPATIC CIRRHOSIS MAY PERSIST.</i>

But you know.. your having to actually be a responsible adult is too much to ask i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back