Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FEP jacketed cable wire by the foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
I'm looking for a length <25 ft or so of 5 conductor minimum of FEP or sunlight resistant cable, stranded conductors. I really would not like a red jacket.

So, any idea who might sell wire by the foot particularly in the US.

What wire gauge?

Your right, missed it. 16-18 AWG. Basically for an old antenna rotator just to get into the attic from the roof. The current wiring is all bare and who knows the state of the rotator.

DXEngineering

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

BuxComm

I have some used here in Az

ps you can tell I am a Ham;)

Last edited:
FEP is not particularly good outside in uV

I use Tefzel (by FAA mandate) for aircraft, but have never seen a jacketed cable with the kind of conductors that would work for rotor cable.

I have taken down ham towers where the standard (ham market) rotator cable (PVC jacketed) was up for > 10years, and it still looked ok.

I got a rotator at a swap meet without a control box, and made my own control box using a PIC as the controller (PWM ramp up slow start, jog, digital indicator, RS232 go to heading).

FEP is UV resistant due to high transparency

PU insulation is UV resistant due to high blocking.

I would choose black PU Xlink sheathing cable.

I may be late But MCM electronics is a good place to order cable and a lot more stuff oh and there cheap.

Mike:

I just got in a 20' lenght of 2/18, 6/22, item code #301 from the wireman (one of your suggestions). It is really nice stuff.
Now, I wanna replace all of the cable :)

The wire is marked even marked "Certified quality from the Wireman Inc. Rotorcable UV Resistant p/n CQ301 1041410 00## XFT" It's even marked incrementally along the jacket in feet for the amount I ordered. A very class act.

I can see the install/fix taking a while though. First, I'll have to take the control box to the roof and see if I can get the rotor to move. Then figure out a way to attach it better since the rotor is made for flat wire. Removing the rotor will be a disaster if I have to do it.

So, I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks,

KISS

PS: I see you don't like PM's? In any event, your an asset to the forum. I have a couple of new toys to play with right now: A commercial grade tuner that demodulates just about anything thrown at it. I'm throwing ATSC at it. It includes the ability to receive IPTV as well which is I briefly checked out. It has a very nice html remote and an IR remote. It can also be controlled via a serial port supposedly.

I'm giving the company a very good workout because I keep finding bugs and suggesting enhancements. So far, they have been receptive. By receptive, I mean, there excuse for stuff is "It's a commercial product". There is just a slew of issues and the most annoying one is it only knows how to tell time during certain parts of the day. 12:05 PM is 00:25 PM.

It reports signal strength in dbm and the s/n ratio in db. Real numbers.

They don't have to fix everything I throw at them. I does not report the physical channel. Instead it reports the Center frequency in MHz. It doesn't wrap "the dial". Well, it actually wraps by one and then gets stuck. Channel Remote entry doesn't show progress on the tuner itself, but does on the on screen display. Closed captioning and the EPG have issues.
It's annoying that you must enter the decimal point and you can't manually tune. i.e. Enter a physical channel and the it doesn't tune to the corresponding virtual channel doesn't. That appears to be an FCC requirement that they don't meet.

My other new toy is still in the box: A 4xHDMI to 4xATSC / 4xIPTV server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back