Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fence energiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkaraven

can anyone tell me how to make a electric fence energiser that would send pulses a long distance and run of a 12v battery links to diagrams and stuff would be most appreciated cheers

What voltage are you looking for? Is this a cattle fence? What wattage? what amperage? We need a bit more info to get started.

its for horses i know nothing about electric really i think it should be about 15000 volt output pulse every second or 2 ive no idea about wattage.i know you can use a car ignition coil and transistors and a timer of some sort but dont know what i need to construct it to get the output voltage.

Last edited:
15kV is way way too much for a horse fence. I would have a voltage of about 1kV AT MOST. I think a microwave transformer would work. DO NOT OPEN A MICROWAVE EVER!!!

You definitly don't know what you're doing. Buy a commercial electric fence generator. Two seconds on google and I found https://www.electric-horse-fence.com/
It's not as simple as just slapping a generator on an existing wire fence either. Insulators have to be mounted on the wire to the wood as damp wood is a pretty good conductor of electricity at high voltages. A generator sufficient to 'warn' animals at the most distance portions of the fence will kill animals closer to the generator if proper insulation isn't used, that or the far ends won't give enough voltage for the animals to notice.

Last edited:
tkaraven said:
can anyone tell me how to make a electric fence energiser that would send pulses a long distance and run of a 12v battery links to diagrams and stuff would be most appreciated cheers

hi,
Search this forum for 'electric fences', there's lots.

eg:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...lt-around-12v.28461/?highlight=electric+fence

I would advise you start with a voltage of far less than 15Kv, start about 1KV
and slowly increase it until get a reaction/response from the horses.
They will get the idea very quickly and avoid the fence.
Place red or yellow marker tapes on the wire fence so that the horses can associate the marker with a shock and keep away.

a friend of mine will be building the project i just need schematics and instructions on how to do it could do with the output being about 3joules pulse this will travel about 3km. the friend of mine is an electrician and repairs fruit machines hes had a try with a transformer out of a fruit machine transformer it gives a shock but its a comfortable one that tickles more than anything the out put voltage i put earlier was a misprint i meant 1.5kv could use upto 5kv the higher the better ive bought a cheap energiser but it doesnt bother the horse its only low output so if some one can help me id appreciate it.:) :eek:

Krumlink said:
15kV is way way too much for a horse fence. I would have a voltage of about 1kV AT MOST. I think a microwave transformer would work. DO NOT OPEN A MICROWAVE EVER!!!

Whatever you do, DON'T pay any attention to the dangerous advise from Krumlink - electric fences use high voltage pulses, historically from car ignition coils and a 12V battery - you MUST NOT USE MAINS POWER, and don't even dream of using a microwave transformer! (unless you like horse steaks!).

ive no intention plugging into mains as i have no mains were my horse is its rural out in the sticks thanks for advise on phsyco electrician lol :)

There is good information at:
**broken link removed**
They suggest 2000 volts.
I know grounding is very important.
You must limit the current!
Send a pulse then no voltage for a second or two. I once grabbed a fence that had high voltage with no break. It was very difficult to let go. In this area there is a law that the fence must be off for a second to allow people to get off the fence. Also you must have a small sign indicating electric fence. I live in a rural area and many of us have electric fences with out signs but if people are around you should put up a sign.

If your fence kills people then you could get done for manslaughter, I would really recommend that you buy it if you don't know what you're doiung it could be dangerous.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Whatever you do, DON'T pay any attention to the dangerous advise from Krumlink - electric fences use high voltage pulses, historically from car ignition coils and a 12V battery - you MUST NOT USE MAINS POWER, and don't even dream of using a microwave transformer! (unless you like horse steaks!).
Nigel, How long go I microwave my steaks? Im hungry...
:D
Oh yeah back on topic...

The most amount of voltage I have "experimented" with was 330 from a disposable camera, so dont listen to anything I say that has anything that uses voltage above 12V.

BUWHHAAHAHAHA!

tkaraven said:
has to be a continuos flow of ac current to kill someone the fencer pulses for one ns every 1 or 2 seconds:eek:
That's not true, a 100ms shock from a huge capacitor is enough to kill you.

You could probably use a capacitive discharge ( .47 uF ceramic ) through an ignition coil with a relay / 555 timer if you want something cheap and dirty, Try keep the pulse rate repitition rate between 1 and .5 hZ and *NEVER* connect directly to any mains. A microwave transformer *WILL* be deadly ! high voltage and high current ! You should never experiment with high voltage unless you know what you are doing.

You might consider using this circuit.
It uses a 12 volt car ignition coil and works very well.

**broken link removed**

The reason you NEED a High Voltage is so it can Penitrate the Fur on the animal. 1000 volts is not enough to do that on a horse or cattle.

And it Isn't the High Voltage that is Dangerous, its the Current and the Length of ON TIME that needs your consideration.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back