Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Feeling pleased with myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Apache Mod is complete....:D
I have achieved full toner transfer and good etching at a LOWER temp than suggested by the PULSAR ppl USING parchment paper in a SINGLE PASS.
The effective feed rate is now 1/8" per 4 seconds, the temperature used is 320F (prob. can go lower) .
It is necessary to permit the laminator to heat up and STABILIZE for perhaps 20 min so that the rollers have achieved steady state temps.
Mod features:
A 2" x 2.5" single sided thru hole PCB based on a 12F675 PIC.
One trimmer pot and one tactile switch configures the mod. A click on the tactile toggles the back & forth roller action calibrated by the trimmer pot to provide 5/8" fwd and 1/2" back per cycle. Another click toggles it back to normal ops.
The stock REVerse feature remains active.
A 1/2 second press on the tactile swtch triggers a 'Cooldown' sequence with a beep sequence after 2 minutes requesting power down. This permits the laminator temp. to be untouched during cooldown as the mod over rides the heater. Now you don't have to reset temps for every use.
The mod also monitors the thermistor for failure and will sound an alarm and disable the heater if this happens for safe operation.
PCB direct bolt onto the inside of the housing of the Apache, no drilling or housing mods required. Utilises existing fan cutouts for Trimmer and tactile switch access.
Requires removal of the 6 pin APACHE display jumper and jacking in the replacement 6 pin connectors from the mod PCB. No soldering, no wirewrap etc.
No mod to the heaters or heat shields required.
Rollers tightened as per the pulsar page, all the way in and then 3 turns back out on all screws.

I'll have to do a write up with Pics for clarity and post it in the articles section.

Last edited:
It is necessary to permit the laminator to heat up and STABILIZE for perhaps 20 min so that the rollers have achieved steady state temps.
I believe that is the critical point. You have to give the laminator temperature time to stabilize. I suspect those people who have cranked up the temperature, were simply too impatient to wait for it to warm up properly.

The newer firmware permits default PCB laminating with the trimmer speed set to slowest. Temperature now @ 30oF and spring tension can be lowered to max 4 screw turns as well!

You're welcome. It's what it's all about, at the end of the day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back