Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fed up of Wrapping and point to point soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cry_Wolf

Hello all Respected Members,

I am really fedup of wrapping wires around the proto type boards and soldering them, It becomes a mess (just like a bird's nest) and its very hard to debug if any thing goes wrong. Now I have finally decided to go for the PCB.(I have never done PCB layouts before:eek:).

Now the question is which Software should I use (I expect you to say EAGLE :D). I have been going through some EAGLE tutorials but cannot get hands on it :(. I would like know some other softwares that are easy to use and are efficient for atleast single side PCB design. If you people still insist that eagle is the best so please provide me some good tutorials and hints.

Thank You

Yes keep working on Eagle. Why? Mostly because it has schematic capture which makes sure that your board and the schematic are the same. It is free.

Work on a tutorial and feel free to ask questions in this thread when you have problems.

The first thing most people need to know is that most passives are in the RCL library.

I have made most of my circuits on stripboard. It has parallel strips of copper and is perforated with holes.
Half of a pcb wiring is already done by the strips. Parts and a few jumper wires make the remainder of the wiring. One wire from a part is in each hole.

A drill-bit is used to cut strips where needed.

I plan the layout on grid-paper with a pencil and eraser.

Attachments

• FM tx mod4 pic.jpg
    FM tx mod4 pic.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 326
Very tidy AudioGuru, I have just started soldering (as you know).

What does the underside look like.....

Mark

The underside of a stripboard project is very neat parallel strips of printed copper wirh a few solder joints on it. No wires all over the place.
It is the same as a pcb to remove and replace a part.

Thank you for your support, I am working on it. I am sure i will have lot of questions soon :D

Express PCB...........

Cry_Wolf said:
Hello all Respected Members,

I am really fedup of wrapping wires around the proto type boards and soldering them, It becomes a mess (just like a bird's nest) and its very hard to debug if any thing goes wrong. Now I have finally decided to go for the PCB.(I have never done PCB layouts before:eek:).

Now the question is which Software should I use (I expect you to say EAGLE :D). I have been going through some EAGLE tutorials but cannot get hands on it :(. I would like know some other softwares that are easy to use and are efficient for atleast single side PCB design. If you people still insist that eagle is the best so please provide me some good tutorials and hints.

Thank You

I couldn't get the hang of Eagle either; after trying all the ones I could find I settled on ExpressPBC. My boards tend to be small and compact and I find it easy to use. I usually make a one sided prototype using Press-N-Peel before ordering the final design. I use jumpers to emulate the double sided board.
Have ordered several from them and the quality and service is outstanding, newer over three (3) working days before they are at my door.

You might also have a look at the Manhattan type of construction, here is an example: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/196Proto.pdf

Last edited:
It can be a diffacult tool to use from what I have heard and no I have not tried it yet but I did find this web site where this guy has done a decent job of doing video tutorials on Egale...Take a look about half way down the page.

Creating Circuit Boards with EAGLE

Antney

aperri said:
It can be a diffacult tool to use from what I have heard and no I have not tried it yet but I did find this web site where this guy has done a decent job of doing video tutorials on Egale...Take a look about half way down the page.

Creating Circuit Boards with EAGLE

Antney

Thank You very much for this great site. I think this is what i was looking for :D

Thanks again.

Ok i get through a couple of tutorials.
The thing confusing me is the huge library. Any eagle expert, Please say a word or two about this library! (i am using single sided pcb and just trying to make 555 timer schematic in eagle). The problem is that i can't figure out which component to pick.

Suppose i want to add this resistor (**broken link removed**)
Which resistor should i select from the library?

and for a capacitor!
(**broken link removed**)
Which component from the library?

I do not think of myself as an expert but I can answer your questions.
Cry_Wolf said:
The thing confusing me is the huge library. Any eagle expert, Please say a word or two about this library! (i am using single sided pcb and just trying to make 555 timer schematic in eagle). The problem is that i can't figure out which component to pick.

This is normal and we all went through it. The library has to be huge on any good program of this type because there are a huge number of parts out there.​

As I said in another post the passives are mostly found in the RCL library. You have a choice of R-US or R-EU symbols. For now click on the R-US, then you can click on each resistor and and it will show enough info to figure out which one you want. The first resistor is listed a R-US_204/2V. You use this if you want a 7.5mm resistor to mount upright in the board with one end sticking up. You can see the foil pattern and the symbol to the right of the list of devices. Under the foil pattern you will find more info about the resistor
RESISTOR, American symbol

Package: 0207/7
RESISTOR
type 0207, grid 7.5 mm

For 1/8 watt resistors I use R-US_0207/7.

and for a capacitor!
You want an electrolytic cap. In the rcl library choose CPOL-US or CPOL-EU. There are a lot of caps from different vendors. I you can not find an exact match pick one with the same space between the leads and a similar diameter. A digital caliper can be handy here.
For electrolytic caps with .1" (2.54mm) spacing I often use
CPOL-USE2.5-5 (CPOL-US) <-- CPOL-US is lib name
For the little .1uF bypass caps with .1" spacing I use
C-US025-024X044 (C-US) <--- C-US is lib name

If you start reading/understanding the info the libs give you on the parts it becomes much easier.
Good luck.

This is so much simpler ...........

Cry_Wolf said:

and for a capacitor!

You picked the wrong program. With ExpressPCB the all components are listed alphabetical and the resistors are labeled by wattage and pin spacing.
Capacitors are grouped by electrolytic and non polarized, etc. So if you know the common name and the pin spacing you are all set.
Try it you will like it and it is free.
Thanks for reminding me why I didn't chose Eagle.

Ok Now I went for the Express PCB. It is no doubt an easy software for the beginner. Ok Now my question :D

I have drawn the following circuit (**broken link removed**)

The PCB i drew is attached.

--> What should I do if two nets cross each other? What I mean is that if i want to connect point A with B (in the image) what should I do? I am using single sided PCB!

--> Any suggestions regarding the PCB layout?

Attachments

• isp.JPG
    isp.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
You have some errors... pin 6 does not go to ground, pin 7 does (route it between the pins on the connector.) Also pin 14 goes to +5v, not ground so it cannot connect to the cathode of the LED.

May I suggest you enter the circuit into ExpressPCB's schematic editor ExpressSCH? You can then link the PCB to the schematic such that the PCB editor will show you which wires to connect where using what is called a "netlist". This will ensure you don't make mistakes in laying out the PCB.

Except of course when you make a mistake in the schematic... :)

P.

Cry_Wolf said:
Ok Now I went for the Express PCB. It is no doubt an easy software for the beginner. Ok Now my question :D

I have drawn the following circuit (**broken link removed**)

The PCB i drew is attached.

--> What should I do if two nets cross each other? What I mean is that if i want to connect point A with B (in the image) what should I do? I am using single sided PCB!

--> Any suggestions regarding the PCB layout?

You are doing great! Try not to get in the habit of making the traces 90° in the corners, this is because the thinner ones might not etch correctly.
And don't forget to use text to identify component.
ON single sided boards there are times when it is necessary to make jumpers, just drop a pad in at the proper place and use a yellow line to indicate it is a jumper.
Here is what I would do with your question:
https://www.pbase.com/sinoline/image/94396269

Last edited:
Thank You so much for the help and support. I think i got my answers.

@aussie
Sorry the point A was marked wrong!
And i ignored the Led's cathode and anode because all i need was two holes with correct spacing for the led!

@Rolf

Thank You very much for your kind support and usefull suggestions.

Can any body tell me how to place this component in ExpressPCB?
**broken link removed**
have any body used this before?

Making of custom components in Express PCB

Cry_Wolf said:
Can any body tell me how to place this component in ExpressPCB?
**broken link removed**
have any body used this before?

No problem, if you have a set of calipers. Measure the distance between the two pins, center to center. Then measure the widest part of the pin and select a pad that has a hole big enough for the pins to go through.

Take the two pads and a rough outline of the connector (in yellow) with the correct spacing and select them (Use arrow and place box around). Then go to Components and select Group to make custom component. Do a test print to check for proper fit. I do a cut in the paper in the center of the pads with a pointed knife to check for proper fit. If fit is not good, Ungroup and do over, use Ctrl arrow keys for fine adjustments of the selected part or component.
When I mount it on the finished board, I would bend the two pins, over to make a better mechanical and electrical connection, before soldering.
Here are some examples of my custom components https://www.pbase.com/image/94415305
The diode on the lower right is on a 45° and selected. The program only allows for 90° segments of rotation, a minor flaw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back