Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Feasible to setup DC 24V bus/network in my home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neko_whisker

Hi I am thinking if it would be feasible to setup and wire DC power at 24V in my home so that I can put embedded sensor/wireless at every point, so that
I do not have to change batteries though they are changed once per year or do not have to plug them into AC power.

Instead it can be powered by large array of batteries charged by solar and wall power. All the embeddded devices can inserted in the parallel way.

What do you think?

Sure, no reason why not. Some track lighting installs are low voltage. You could probably do the wiring yourself but you'll have to have an electrician sign off on it or if it ever causes a fire your insurance won't cover anything. The main problem is going to be voltage drop from long runs.

I looked through my NEC code book and I cant find all that much specific about low voltage DC system requirements.

If its under 50 volts the requirements are very loosely stated.
Its like the DIY low voltage yard and garden or home lighting. Loosely stated and rather up to the person installing to use common sense about wire size, run locations, and power handling capacity.

Here is the basic condensed version.
If the system is isolated from the primary electrical system and is battery powered the main lead from the battery source must be fused for the size of wire that is being used. All sub feeds of smaller gauge wire coming off of that first feed line should have fuses of relative size for the amp rating of that gauge of wire.

Under 50 volts the electrical wiring is typically considered control wiring and does not necessarily need electrical inspection. But is encouraged if used for larger power applications.

so what sort of power are you going to be carrying ? for any power use I would suggest the use of normal mains cable 1+ mm sq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back