Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite Op-Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

What is your favorite op-amp and favorite comparator?
Here is where I'm at with my steering controller and I was wondering what you guys would recommend I use in it. Are there any advantages of one oscillator over the other or is an oscillator just an oscillator and it really doesn't matter.
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• New Design R12J.PNG
    New Design R12J.PNG
    56.6 KB · Views: 192
  • New Design R13J.PNG
    New Design R13J.PNG
    56.6 KB · Views: 168
I don't have a favourite, it depends on the application.

What is your favorite op-amp and favorite comparator?

Sort of like asking "what is your favorite tool?".

It depends on if I need to hammer a nail or saw a board.

...Are there any advantages of one oscillator over the other or is an oscillator just an oscillator and it really doesn't matter.

The answer depends on required frequency, stability, waveform, size, cost, power consumption, what you have on hand...

Last edited:
The TLC2274 that you chose is actually a pretty good quad opamp. And fairly priced too. You can get better performing duals or singles, but with quads you have chosen one of the best.

With respect to your oscillator question, I like the PUT-JFET combo best, but I must confess that I'm biased...I come long ways, when designing a circuit involved designing with individual transistors. So it may be nostalgia from my part.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses, I did order some LM339AN comparators and notice the pin out is different from the TLC2274 Op-Amp so I can't just swap them without some rewiring. Verrrrry Innnterrresttting!!!!!!!!
Kinarfi

I have another question, probably get flamed for it, but, isn't the output of a comparator supposed to be a 1 or a 0??, the diagram looks like a sink, so the output needs a pull up resistor to give you the 1 or the 0. Would the FET gate tied directly to a comparator output work? no?
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• post.PNG
    post.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Most of the i.c. comparators have a pull-down npn transistor whose emitter is tied to Vss, but no pull-up, so you have to wire an external resistor to some positive voltage source. The resistor value depends on what the output is driving, and how fast you want the output to switch high. If there is a lot of capacitance on the comparator's output pin, and you dont care how much power you burn, then 470 Ohm to +5V might be appropriate. If speed is less of an issue, and you are driving CMOS or other high-impedance loads, then 5K might be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back