Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fastand big memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I have used I2C memorys, which i like because of their easy interface.

Now i have an application that has to be faster than a I2C eeprom. The 10ms wait between each writing if too much.

I am building a logger, that has to be able to work with resulotions like a half to one ms.

So the requirements are fast writing and big datastorage. Is there any memmory like that, which is rather easy to use?

My first thought is Compact Flash. But my guess is that it is far far from easy to interface a compactflash memory, am i right?

fast write I2C non-volatile memory

"Fast & big" usually implies parallel memories. In this case, it's the underlying technology, not the interface, that's hampering your write speed.

If you're looking for a non-volatile memory with faster write timing than EEPROM, take a look at ferro-electric memories (FRAM). Density is comparable to EEPROMs, and FRAMs come in I2C, SPI and parallel versions.

http://www.ramtron.com/products/producthome.htm

You might try ordering some samples.

Another serial option (SPI) is Atmel's DataFlash parts. These come in much higher densities than either EEPROMs or FRAMs. The write speed is faster than EEPROMS, though not as fast as FRAMs. Time to erase & program a page is 20 mS max, (a page has 264 bytes). The parts include an on-chip SRAM buffer (2 on the larger parts) to help speed up write operations.

http://www.atmel.com/products/DataFlash/overview.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back