Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fan wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vietster1

Hi folks, This is my first post. here is the situation:I just rebuilt my HP with a Celeron 340 into another case, It has 2Gigs of RAM, an 8400GS. I am running a duel boot with XP and Vista. I have added a 350 Watt PSU. I play games pretty good with it, even Left 4 dead runs pretty well, My problem is keeping the thing cool. I ran across some fans that I salvaged out of an old Digital Server 7000. I aquired it free through craigslist. The thing was instorage for 5 years and had a family of mice that took up residence on the motherboard. so the machine itself was useless. so anyway, I want to cut 3 nice holes out of the case panel and mount these fans into it. No of course, I am planning to power these things from an external source. The fan specs are as follows. Nidec BETA V. TA450DC. They are 12V DC .49AMP. Give me an idea on how I can wire these up to a 12V Power supply. I also have a power switch from an old blown 140W PSU that I can use to turn them on. I just need to know how to wire these things. I have a huge box of power supplies from old nintendo power supplies, and phone ones, and battery chargers, way too many different ones to list. I love to tinker and modify, I dont throw things like that away, for reasons like this!!

Without being an expert on computer fans, I still assume the are small plastic 12 volt fans with a red and black lead, correct?

If this is the case, very simple. Put them all in parallel to the +12 and ground outputs on whatever power supply you wish to use. You may want to solder or crimp all three red leads to a single conductor with the switch in the middle for powering the fans (if you desire to have the power supply left powered for other things) or you may wire up a switch on the Line input to the power supply. In fact, it would be advisable to do both, IMHO, and always power the supply power turning on the fans.

Another thought might be to add a reverse diode across the fans but not neccessary.

There are 3 leads on the thing, red, black and orange, I am under the impression that the orange is for fan control. I am not at this time looking to control fans speeds, just run them. These are nice fans, though I read somewhere that these things are leaf blowers! So I may only use one or 2. Should I just worry about the red and black? and leave the orange alone?

you don't need the orange but you could buy a molex adapter and solder the fan wires to the 12 volt part of it. (looking at a psu molex connector the yellow wire is 12 volt). also you need the same size holes alowing the air to come out as the fans blowing the air in

Well, here is the story, I rigged them to a 12 volt adapter leaving out the orange,they work great. I thought about using a moldex but i decided not to draw anymore power from my PSU. I already have enough in there. I am going to mount them on plexiglass and use that for my side panel. as far as exhaust, I have 2 smaller fans blowing in, I am going to turn them around so that they blow out. I have another fan blowing out, it is a 3 inch. so to top things off, I have 2 3inch and 1 2 inch blowing out, I will have 2 4 inch blowing in, Plus, I have the case is well vented. so I think it is going to work pretty good. these Nidec fans ARE like leaf blowers. This is going to work great I think. and, I can simply hit the switch and turn them on if I game. I will just have to keep my heatsink and the rest of the inside good and blown out. it may get dusty in there with the way I have it set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back