Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extracting DVBT-decoded video signal from **INSIDE** the TV for DIY ambi-light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro0ter

Hello everyone,

I have seen lots of ideas on how to use a HDMI signal to conduct a long strip of WS2812B leds, but what to do if I do not have an external decoder? My TV is able to play videos from DLNA server and has a CI+ interface where I have the TV subscription decoder for DVB-T... Now what? I won`t pay lots of money on a TV which doesn`t know sh@@@@@ but only can show some lights on the wall behind it, I`d rather have a smart TV even if it is impossible to add those very nice lights.

I have had this idea for a very long time, given that my TV can be hacked with SammyGo (don`t know why their website doesn`t work at all lately), I have an old-generation Samsung UE40C6500 TV.

Does anyone have any idea on how and where to attach in order to extract decoded video signal from the TV? It doesn`t need to be HDMI, it can be whatever signal can be decoded by a microcontroller (e.g. atmega328p).

I poses advanced electronics knowledge and soldering skills, should anyone ask.

Thank you all for your time!

CI+ requires: a knowledge of the protocol for;
  1. Host Capability Evaluation
  2. Auth Key Verification
  3. Authentication
  4. SAC Key Calculation
  5. URI Version Negotiation
  6. URI Acknowledgement
  7. CC Key Calculation
  8. SRM Acknowledgement
I don't know the answer but I would start understanding the specifications.
https://dtcp.com/specifications.aspx

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the answer. I do not necessarrily want to decode the CI+ signal, that was just an example of the video signals the tv can render.

I am interested more in some way of grabbing the signal that flows to the tv lcd, to be able to intercept and decode it....

I begin to believe that I should have purchased a simple tv with no tunner and no smart internet, but only with a couple of hdmi inputs so that I don't have any headaches (actually a "stupid commercial ad displaying tv")... then with a single media/tv box and one hdmi ambilights kit I would have fixed everything...

Thanks for your input!

I never heard of the Lightberry before now. It may be the solution you need to make the TV into a content controlled "colour organ".
Using a raspberry RPi3 and HFMI splitter with the downloaded appropriate image file to boot from.. (recover)
lightberry-6.0.0.apa

I use a HDhomeRun digital tuner and bypass the TV tuner. It connects to router and can be used on Wifi or ethernet with 2 channels and WMC used as PVR and TV player. But I also use KODI on Win 8.1 and MBX Android boxes too with free TV and movies. I no longer have phone and TV bills and have free long distance either with MagicJack or Google Voice.

Hi Tony and thanks for pointing out the Lightberry... I do have a RPI which is still in the box after a year... shame on me (it`s not even rev3, but rev2b).

I would not like to use an external tunner, but so far it seems I don`t have a choice.. I paid big bucks on this tv which has wifi, internet, dvbt, ci+ etc.... and I would hate to pai some additional money on another tv tunner and media center.... darn... I also hate having more than 1 remote :|....

I do salute your setup with the hd home run setup, need to think with in bigger perspective in the future.

Thanks for everything, it seems I don`t have a choice.

>>ro0ter
I would skip the OTA and cable TV stuff and just go with KODI and HDMI to TV on a cable from an M8S Android box with at least 2GB or RAM.
Pulse wizard or Ares Wizard is searchable with instructions for KODI and all the free TV live, sports and movies with TV series from 1st episode to day after broadcast. all free in any language for subtitles or local broadcast language or any country. If you have enough RAM in your TV with Android or similar OS, then you can install KODI there. The Android value is around $100 give or take $50 depending on RAM size. https://kodi.altervista.org/category/romanian-channels/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back