Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

External Hard Disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

XhD

I have this external hard disk which needed to be powered up before using. There is once my friend of mine used his laptop charger to power it up and it produces a pungent smell. Is there any way to repair it? Thanks in advance.

is the controller board damaged or is it the hard drive?? if it the controller board then easier to buy a new caddy from ebay for about £6-£10
if its the hard drive then im afraid its probably dead as they are generally unservicable

Reactions: XhD
im not sure. i intended to change the port to those internal hard disk port and try booting it up. do you think it is a good idea?

If you're lucky you only fried the external drives controller not the drive itself, I think it would be safe to remove the harddrive from the enclosure and try it in your PC, just keep an eye on it. Takes a good close look at the disk drive itself for singed parts though.

Last edited:
Reactions: XhD
For once I damaged my external hard drive enclosure (but the drive is still intact). I could have just replaced the enclosure, but decided to send the the drive for service since it was still under warranty. 10 days later I received my replacement drive by post. Guess what? The hard drive (which was working) had been replaced with the new one, and the damaged enclosure was sent back to me. They didn't even bother to re-assemble it.

so now i just needa get a new circuit board. Any ideas where to buy it beside ebay? Btw I'm from Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back