Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ext EEPROM read delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

Question 1:
I have used external eeproms sinse i started using PIC:s about a year ago. I have always thought that there should be a 10ms delay between each read/write to the eeprom.

But now when i am thinking of it, is it really nessecary when reading? I can remember i have seen a explanation to the delay that says that there must be a delay for the data to be written to EEPROM.

The read delay is a problem when i am displaying a bitmap on my GLCD when reading from EEPROM. The drawing procedure takes toooooooo long time because of the read delay.

I have also thought of put the bitmap data in the PIC:s program memmory. Is that difficult? I am using PicBasic Plus. I suppose reading from program memmory would be ways faster than from a EEPROM, right?

As you say, there is a delay time when you WRITE to EEPROM, not when you read!. You can also usually write more than one byte, the actual number depending on the particular EEPROM, followed by a single delay time - this speeds writing considerably. Consult the datasheet for your EEPROM for more details (generally the larger the EEPROM, the more bytes you can write).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back