Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Everyone else has done it, now I want to, too: optoisolate

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Sorensen

I want to build a circuit that has 120VAC inputs and 120VAC outputs, optically isolated. I am going to use 4N26 for the inputs and TLP3023 optotriacs for the outputs. What I need is either a circuit for the inputs and/or outputs, or advice about selecting a capacitor for the input (the rest I can figure out, if I have to, but I know that this has been done a million times and I'd rather just use a proven design). See, I want to use a capacitor to limit current through the opto on the input instead of a resistor, to keep heat down. I'd also like to minimize physical size. But very few capacitors are rated for WVAC. What kind of capacitor would I need for such a circuit? I'm thinking a value of 470nF to 1.5uF is about where I want to be. But like I said, I need as physically small a circuit as I can get as I will have probably 16 input and 16 output channels on the PCB.

TIA,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back