Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet controller interface with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop playing with obsolete components and get a chip with an on board ethernet controller:
**broken link removed**
And as has been mentioned, it comes with FREE tcp/ip stack firmware and you can get free samples of the chips!! You can't beat that.

Last edited:
Not for the ENC28J60, but you need a programmer for the MCU you interface with it.

Hi,
Can you please tell me in TCP/IP stack software of ENC28J60 which changes required for AT89S8252 ?..
I try to implement it.....

thank you for help me...

diyora said:
Hi,
Can you please tell me in TCP/IP stack software of ENC28J60 which changes required for AT89S8252 ?..
I try to implement it.....

thank you for help me...

Not an easy question, you're going to have to rewrite and recompile the Microchip stack that can be found on their site. The two microcontrollers are very different so good luck. An AT89S8252 ICD will help if one exists.

There is a kit available on **broken link removed** that combines the ENC28J60 with the necessary support components. It can simplify prototyping with the ENC28J60. There's a header that will plug into a solderless breadboard for VSS, 3.3V, and the SPI lines.

It was designed with a different Microcontroller in mind, but there's no reason it couldn't be used with a PIC, AVR or any other Microcontroller for that matter.

Brian

For starters, you'll need a C compiler for the AT89S8252. Then you'll need a lot of time to port the code to the new hardware due to the differences in hardware and some compiler specific syntax. The code from MicroChip is fairly modular so you won't need to do it all. eg: If you aren't going to use FTP, then you don't have to port the ftp.c file.

Well...

Well ya...

its the need of time now to learn more than 8051.

Shifting to pic or similar can help in learning new technologies...

Regards,

Simran..

I agree with Bill. What is an 8051 supposed to do with a 1500 byte incoming packet when it has only 1K of RAM. OK So it has 2K of RAM you say, and I say "don't you want to be double buffered on both the transmitter and the receiver"? Can you see where this is going. Drop the 8051 if you want to do ethernet. Stop wasting your time on silly projects.

Sorry, I realize these posts are dated but I had to chime in. Having worked with 8051's extensively (although long ago) I clearly see some *false* statements here.

First off, the 8051/8031 can be used with external ram and rom, 64k each (separate address spaces) used when you strap the EA pin low. As I recall the 8051 had a very nice instruction set for those who like to do assembly programming. Some of the newer 8051 core based processors are rather nice and wicked fast. There are free compilers on the net for those who want to use "C".

And just to add insult to injury:

**broken link removed**

And I believe this is a $9 part.

As far as something being bad because it's old, well I guess that'd leave me out in the cold. I'm in good company though. As a result your neo-tech snobery attitude I think we'd have to throw out things like *english* and the *lever* cause their old, that and *algebra* (it's about 4000 years old) as well as bolean alegbra (it's about 159 years old). That's stuff is old and passe. We can't use it because it's "old".

As far as terms like "silly" and "stop wasting your time" these are rather destructive (read *useless*) in terms of instruction and encouragement. This guy could have built the thing his way, succeeded or failed with the energy you sought to destroy with your careless commentary. At least if he built it and failed, he'd be and expert on what and what not to do and have the satisfaction of at least meeting a portion of his goals (along with
solid experience). Even if he failed he'd be in a good position to move on to something
more appropriate with a much higher confidence level.

*if he actually succeeded he could come back here and make you eat crow*
(I think I'd like to see that)

The guy is clearly trying to make do with what he has on hand. I'd like to seem it use what he has and see what happens. If his 8051 variant is too slow, by how much? Is
there limited cases where it would work? Can it at least do ICMP? These would be
solid data points. If he did get far enough to evaluate the system using an 8051 variant
we'd have solid data from which the *community* could use to frame microcontroller projects of this type with.

:mad:

Regarding the DS80C400 - I have had nothing but problems putting it into a project. By all means find something else, either a micro with CS8900A or ENC28J60, or a micro with embedded ethernet like the PIC one. But don't use the DS80C400!

Just because you can put together an 8051 system with external memory and an SPI Ethernet controller still doesn't make it a good idea. You still have no DMA into RAM with the 8051 architecture which means no full duplex operation, so your going to have a difficult time keeping up. This thread is nearly a year old, so if this is such a good idea, how come nobody has done it?

Ethernet Controller for Atmega168 MCU

Hi

I have the same problem. I'm looking to add ethernet capabilities to my LED array project which I built using Atmega168 microcontroller. Could anybody please point me to the right direction of which ethernet module to use and how to interface it with my MCU. Also does it require any programming change to be done on my MCU.

Thanks

Thanks a lot,.

btw any idea on how to interface it with the MCU (like connections etc). Is it just that the pins of the Xport connect to the data pins on the MCU.

Also does the flash program on the MCU needs to be changed to divert data through the Xport ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back