Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet controller interface with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

diyora

Hello Sir,
I want to interface Ethernet controller with microcontroller. I see some Ethernet controller in which SPI interface there. I have doubt, Is there different microcontroller have different Ethernet controller. Currently I have 89s52 microcontroller.
Can you suggest me which Ethernet controller is useful for me ?..

Thanking you...

With Regards,
Ankur

Hi blueroomelectronics,
Thanks for reply & suggestion.I see the ENC28J60 & also ethernet controller in which this ic used.But i want to know how i interface this ethernet controller & microcontroller 89s52.
Can you give me any useful link for that which i understand practically.

Thank you for help me...

Hi blueroomelectronics,
Thanks for reply.Actually currently i have microcontroller 89s52 and also i face problem is unavailibility of PIC18F in my town.
Can i interface SPI of ENC28J60 with 89s52 ?..

Thank you for help me...

diyora said:
Hi blueroomelectronics,
Thanks for reply.Actually currently i have microcontroller 89s52 and also i face problem is unavailibility of PIC18F in my town.
Can i interface SPI of ENC28J60 with 89s52 ?..

Thank you for help me...
If you can't get the 18F4620 then how can you get the ENC28J60? Microchip makes them both.

For an antique like the 89s52 try to connect it to an old ISA network card. Lots of I/O need though. As for hooking up just follow the examples on the site I posted earlier, just change the 18F4620 to the pins on your 89s52. I take it you're an excellent programmer because this is not a trivial task writing an Ethernet stack pretty much from scratch.

PS the 89s52 doesn't have a hardware SPI port. It's way to slow to keep up with the ENC28J60 using a software SPI.

Last edited:
I agree with Bill. What is an 8051 supposed to do with a 1500 byte incoming packet when it has only 1K of RAM. OK So it has 2K of RAM you say, and I say "don't you want to be double buffered on both the transmitter and the receiver"? Can you see where this is going. Drop the 8051 if you want to do ethernet. Stop wasting your time on silly projects.

Funny NYPD said:
probably it is not used for receiving, but transmitting.
Ethernet on an 8051 is still a silly project. There is no reason for it architecturally or economically.

Hi,
I see another atmel ic atmega88 or atmega168 which is used with ethernet controller ENC28J60.but here atmega 88/168 is not available.Instead of that atmega8 is available.I see both datasheet but not too much difference i find.
Can i used it for my application ?..

Thank you....

diyora said:
Hi,
I see another atmel ic atmega88 or atmega168 which is used with ethernet controller ENC28J60.but here atmega 88/168 is not available.Instead of that atmega8 is available.I see both datasheet but not too much difference i find.
Can i used it for my application ?..

Thank you....

I doubted it will be suitable. Mega88 has more features than Mega8 and along with changed register names, individual bits names and physical address. Some work is required when potting codes from M8 to M88. If the additional features new in M88 is used in the design, it will not be possible to use an M8 instead.

ATMEL has a document detailing what to change when going from M8 to M88. No such document exists go the other way round.

Some of the 51 family has a 20MIPS-100MIPS performance, that is faster than most of the PICs. And 1-128Kbyte of flash is almost identical as the PICs. So it should be reasonable to exist.

Funny NYPD said:
Some of the 51 family has a 20MIPS-100MIPS performance, that is faster than most of the PICs. And 1-128Kbyte of flash is almost identical as the PICs. So it should be reasonable to exist.
None of the features you mentioned are the issue.
The issue is RAM - 8051s are notriously short on this commodity
No DMA - it is not possible to request access to the bus and the CPU cannot be stopped. If there was an ethernet controller with RAM buffers and a convenient interface maybe it would make sense, but the overhead is so large there would not be much in the way of CPU cycles left after you got through with the TCP/IP stack.

If I told you there was a 32 bit embedded controller with an ethernet MAC onboard for the same or lower price as your 8051 would you be interested? Oh...did I mention free development tools? No 30 day evaluations, no crippled code generation -- just...well...FREE!

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, the high performance 51s isn't cheap at all. They are about twice the price of PICs and AVRs.

Funny NYPD said:
As a matter of fact, the high performance 51s isn't cheap at all. They are about twice the price of PICs and AVRs.
Why are you pushing the idea of using an 8051 or some variant. Even if all the needed hardware was there you would still have to port some stack code to it. That is more then a few days of work.

The package provided by microchip is a package. Why make a bunch of work by using another processor ?

Tilting at windmills is a time honored way to learn you craft. Knock yourselves out, but have fun doing it.

Here in the US, it is a world of PICs and some AVRs. But in some other part of the world, there is lots of users of 51s. I don't think it will die soon. I still seeing people using the aged 80c196 for new projects. That's somthing I don't quite understand.

Hi,
Can I use microchip Ethernet controller ENC20J60 only with microchip microcontroller like PIC18F4620, etc or other microcontroller like Atmega88, 128, etc. ?..
Same as for, Atmel Ethernet controller CS8900 use only withAtmel microcontroller or other microcontroller....
What will be suitable for me ?.. Why ?..

Thank you...

diyora said:
Hi,
Can I use microchip Ethernet controller ENC20J60 only with microchip microcontroller like PIC18F4620, etc or other microcontroller like Atmega88, 128, etc. ?..
Same as for, Atmel Ethernet controller CS8900 use only withAtmel microcontroller or other microcontroller....
What will be suitable for me ?.. Why ?..

Thank you...
The ENC28J60 uses a 3.3V SPI interface, you can in theory hook it up to any microcontroller with a hardware SPI interface.
Are you a really good programmer? Porting the code would take some serious C skills. The Ethernet stack is available for free, did you look at it? Do you understand how it works? Can you program in C?
The 8051 is not going to cut it for Ethernet. If you can't get the right parts then you should pick another project.
PS the CS8900 is a TQFP package and is made by Cirrus Logic not Atmel. It can be connected to almost any microcontroller, how do you plan to work with it? Can you even get a CS8900?
Circuit Cellar even published an article on an CS8900A to C8051F005
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back