Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

Would any one be able to supply a circuit digram for me to construct a ESR and low Ohms meter for testing high capacitors values. :?:

Gregory said:
Would any one be able to supply a circuit digram for me to construct a ESR and low Ohms meter for testing high capacitors values. :?:

I've got one I built from a magazine article, PM me your email address and I'll send you a PDF of the details. It comes in very useful for doing repairs, I probably use it every day or two.

Nigel -- Might I suggest that you upload it to a webspace and post a link to it here? I'm sure that others might have an interest in it as well... :)

ChrisP said:
Nigel -- Might I suggest that you upload it to a webspace and post a link to it here? I'm sure that others might have an interest in it as well... :)
The article might be copyrighted, in which case posting it is probably not a good idea.

Ron H said:
The article might be copyrighted, in which case posting it is probably not a good idea.

In that case, a link could be posted to the article at its source location...

Ron H said:
ChrisP said:

Yes, the article is from a magazine - so although it is actually on a web server (in a hidden directory) I'm not going to give the URL out!.

The file is 120Kb, I created the PDF by scanning the pictures in and OCR'ing the text - with lots of editting!.

Hi,

there is a complete project named "ESR/C/Meter" in Elektor magazine 9/2005.

It contains the circuit schematic and a PCB layout and all software in Basic with hex-files for a PIC16F84 and a PIC16F877.

The PCB layout is not correct since the board size is smaller than the suggested LC-display and won't fit into the suggested enclosure either.

I have redesigned the board layout to use a VLD-800mA on demand of display back lighting. (4.2V/130mA) The contrast pot has been moved from underneath the display for easy contrast adjustment with the display inserted in a 16-pin single row socket. All switches are DPDT switches with vertical actuation (push in to lock - push in to unlock). The design also contains a battery low LED to indicate battery voltage lower than 5.5V (Minimum input voltage = 5.2V)

The used switches are difficult to find on the market, but I can buy tons of them in SEA and will ship them to you. Shipping cost from Thailand to elsewhere in the world is about 10% of the international shipping price.

The redesigned PCB has been made in a board house in Bulgaria and I might order one extra board for you saving on tooling cost (That board house only charges film expenses for the Gerber photo plot - no machine setup costs involved).

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back