Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP32 NodeMCU-like Module Recommdations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
A while back I designed a couple circuit boards to use ESP32 Dev Kit V1 modules. Since I designed those boards, a confusing array of ESP32 NodeMCU-type modules have become available. Two problems, even if you don't need any special features of the new modules: 1 – the pinsouts are different between the modules and 2 – the spacing between the pin rows can change.

If you order from Amazon, ebay or various Chinese sites, the specs aren't well spelled out (like distance between the rows) and determining the pinout often depends on the accuracy of a fuzzy picture. Also, I'll only be assembling a few of the 10 boards I'm having made, trusting the modules from "The Happy Captain Company" may not be the same the next time I order the same part.

Any recommendations for specific ESP32 NodeMCU modules that are likely to be available for the foreseeable future with some trustworthy specs? I'm in the US, and I may need a lot of I/O, so mini-modules won't do.

Your could always layout your own module and at least have control of that.

Predicting future chip availability is another matter. Crystal ball kind of gamboling.

Regards, Dana.

I was going to suggest the same as Dana. EasyEDA have the ESP32(16MB) available,
esp32.png

Am I right in thinking that all the ESP development software uses the built in (ROM) bootloader and no additional firmware is needed? If so then building the module into your board seems the obvious solution.

Mike.

That seems like a lot of extra effort – worth it if I were building many copies, but a run of ten boards is likely all I will need. There's also a lot of 'glue' on a NodeMCU that would need to be duplicated.

Time to throw a dart.

Have a look for "ESP32 MINI D1 WROOM-32" - look for the version with two rows of holes either side, there is a smaller ESP2866 D1.

That's got a reasonable amount of I/O and appears to only exist in one footprint.

Am I right in thinking that all the ESP development software uses the built in (ROM) bootloader and no additional firmware is needed? If so then building the module into your board seems the obvious solution.
Can anyone confirm this?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back