Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP starter things

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

What's the best way to start out with ESP? I keep seeing these modules and they're kind of "same but different" - what is a good one for initial experiments? What are some good tutorials to start out with? Will I regret this?

I started with the Wemos boards. This document will take you from startup to having a fully working web server with SD card or on board SPIFFS to hold the files. Try it and see. I've actually found the ESP8266 to get less reliable with time and intend to try the ESP32 modules.

Mike.

Thanks for that, looks to be exactly the kind of thing I need.
So let me get this straight - there are only 2 (or other very small number) of ESP models, and all the variants I see are actually the type of module they've been made into?

Thanks for that, looks to be exactly the kind of thing I need.
So let me get this straight - there are only 2 (or other very small number) of ESP models, and all the variants I see are actually the type of module they've been made into?

Pretty well - ESP8266 or ESP32.

I agree with Pommie, the Wemos (specifically the mini's) are my ESP's of choice.

There is also an ESP32-S2 version now, which adds a full USB interface instead of a USB-UART chip. Apparently, this creates some compatibility issues, so it might be best to avoid the -S2 version when starting out.

The ESP32 is nice in that it adds Bluetooth for even more flexibility.

The ESP32 is a bit more expensive but the dual processor cores allow one to monitor wifi and the other to run your code. The esp8266 needs some delays or WDT management if you are in long loops - otherwise the WDT can timeout and reset the device.

start with the dev boards that have usb on them. The ESP12 boards are cheaper but require an FTDI or other usb to serial and a daughter board or fudging together some kind of connections to ground for reset/flash.

I'd start with the Arduino IDE but then move on to the Espressif IDE -it seems more exacting, correct to me than trying to do things the Arduino way with specific libraries with Espressif commands embedded inside.

Last edited:
If you need plenty of i/o lines then look at the ESP32 Wroom board, as below , typically around GB £7 US $10

As said you can use the Arduino IDE but there are a few slight differences in the code between the Arduino and ESP32 but you soon see them.

As well as the ET forum , found this site has a load of good info from beginner to advanced level.
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/getting-started-with-esp32/

000338.jpg

Hmm, ok, thanks very much for the info everybody. Expect me to start asking more specific questions when I finally get around to doing something with it, probably take me about 3 years!
I've never done anything with an Arduino, so might as well jump straight into Expressif.

I've never done anything with an Arduino, so might as well jump straight into Expressif.

You might find the Arduino IDE much easier to use / supported plus lots of web help for Arduino IDE ESP 8266 and 32 projects.

Also allows you to use the full range of Arduino boards and others makes like the Teensy range.

Reactions: 3v0
Ah, ok fair point. I'll see when I get there. Plenty to think about for now.

The high MHz benefit of Teensy has run out of steam -
ESP offers:
- even higher speeds
- wireless technologies
- more Dev board configurations
- more suppliers for Dev Boards
- lower prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back