Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD damage from solder tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
I have a dead UCC28070A chip.
I wonder if i accidentally ESD damaged it?

I am just wondering now......i soldered this board up with an Eagle YO61 solder station......the solder tip is earthed only if the cylinder screw is tight.......i did notice during soldering, that the cylinder screw had loosened right off, and then there's no earth connection to the solder tip.......so maybe that could have ESD blitzed the UCC28070A?.......What would you think the likelihood of ESD damaging a UCC28070A with a non earthed solder tip? I did have to drag solder the UCC28070A.

Eagle YO61 solder station

UCC28070A datasheet

I would have said it's extremely unlikely that your issue was caused by ESD from the soldering iron, even if the tip had somehow disconnected from earth (and it's pretty crap if it can) then it's not going to magically pickup lot's of voltage.

Do you take any ESD precautions?, and how long did you take soldering it?, perhaps it was heat damaged.

Thanks, i have full esd wrist strap, table mat, floor mat, all earthed.
I just drag soldered it up and down a few times...didnt take much.....then i kind of "jump" the pin shorts to the edge pins, then with a 430c solder iron, pull off those last edge pin shorts.

None of my many other chips have gotten esd damaged. I just wonder if the UCC28070A is super static sensitive., as Lightium kindly puts forward info.

I notice virtually all ti.com chips have that ESD warning of sect 11.4.........and i am convinced that these tiny <=0.65mm pitch chips are more susceptible to ESD damage?

Thanks, i have full esd wrist strap, table mat, floor mat, all earthed.
I just drag soldered it up and down a few times...didnt take much.....then i kind of "jump" the pin shorts to the edge pins, then with a 430c solder iron, pull off those last edge pin shorts.
That sounds rather excessive?.

It doesn't sound like you've much chance of ESD damage with your other precautions.

Thanks, i only use 430c for the last little bit, whereby i tempt the edge pin short onto the iron by dabbing it, and making it move to the hot iron....AYK, solder always follows to the hot place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back