Equipment recommendation for re-balling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt60

For now, just curious what rework stations might be good enough to allow me to remove a BGA chip (specifically, an XBOX GPU). Hoping I can work with something on a $200 budget.

Ive got about 4 years of professional electronics repair experience, which requires almost daily surface mount PCB repair. But, I have never used a "rework station", only some very nice soldering stations. And, well, someone at work is trying to sell me a RROD XBOX and this seems like a great excuse for me to buy a rework station.

Thanks for any help

-Chris

To be more specific, I believe what I am looking for is called a "hot air rework station". Anyway, is it feasible that I can get one for under $200 that is capable of melting all of the solder balls on the largish XBOX 360s GPU?

This forum helped me decide on the Hakko solder station I currently own, with my only previous experience with a good solder station being Wellers. Though I would say ultimately I prefer the Wellers, I am very happy with the Hakko. Currently, I am using a Pace solder station at work, and am quite happy with that one as well. I am assuming all three of these brands would be good for hot air stations as well, but please correct me if Im wrong. Any other brands to consider?

Thanks

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…