Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equipment recommendation for re-balling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt60

For now, just curious what rework stations might be good enough to allow me to remove a BGA chip (specifically, an XBOX GPU). Hoping I can work with something on a $200 budget.

Ive got about 4 years of professional electronics repair experience, which requires almost daily surface mount PCB repair. But, I have never used a "rework station", only some very nice soldering stations. And, well, someone at work is trying to sell me a RROD XBOX and this seems like a great excuse for me to buy a rework station.

Thanks for any help

-Chris

To be more specific, I believe what I am looking for is called a "hot air rework station". Anyway, is it feasible that I can get one for under $200 that is capable of melting all of the solder balls on the largish XBOX 360s GPU?

This forum helped me decide on the Hakko solder station I currently own, with my only previous experience with a good solder station being Wellers. Though I would say ultimately I prefer the Wellers, I am very happy with the Hakko. Currently, I am using a Pace solder station at work, and am quite happy with that one as well. I am assuming all three of these brands would be good for hot air stations as well, but please correct me if Im wrong. Any other brands to consider?

Thanks

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back