Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply, stepper, and controller---Brand name recommendation

ampedtech

Hey, Kids

Hope all are well.

I am starting a cnc plasma project.

Mach3 and geckodrive are my only decisions so far.

I ask, those of you that are actuality running cnc projects that you built to drop some brand names on me.

Other than going to a big supplier for big dollars where have you seen success in getting quality gear at a good price.

Brand name or supplier, good or bad.

Power supply 80v 40a range (I may want to add more loads)
steppers nema 34
controllers tell me Gecko is good, bad, or tell me something better.

What's the overall machine bed size going to be, and what general design - eg. moving gantry or moving bed?

Steppers are OK for smallish machines, but they are an "open loop" system, where everything is totally reliant on no axis ever losing a step due to force or high acceleration, after referencing.

For larger machines and especially if working with high value materials, you would be better off with brushless DC servos and encoder feedback, as used by normal industrial machines.

Thanks for responding and bring my post to the top.

Where is a good place to buy?

steppers nema 34

Over all the years Anaheim Automation was my go to for Steppers and their controllers, Brushless DC Motors, Gear Boxes, Servo Motors and the like, Buy once and cry once but I had their stuff in service running 24/7 for decades.

Ron

Thanks for responding and bring my post to the top.

Where is a good place to buy?

I've been working on CNC machines & their control systems for decades. Some machines are tiny, some are gigantic (eg. one we've rebuilt is 25+ metres long).

I can't recommend anything without knowing the size of the machine!

Also, what will be the highest cutting speed, and what maximum positioning speed are you aiming for?

The mass of the various moving parts and the speed they are required to move at drastically affects the motor and drive requirements.

A plasma machine is unlikely to be small, due to the size of a plasma head. It's definitely not a "Desktop CNC" type of scale.
That means it's most likely between 2x1m and ?? 8x3m working area?? [That's not the largest, by any means].

The head mass could be anything from 1-2kg to 500kg... EVERYTHING affects the drive system and control requirements.

I used NEMA 34 X 6” steppers on a milling machine at 24 volts. They have never missed a step.
I used the same on a 4’ plasma torch with lead screws and is working fine.
It would probably be okay, driving faster with cog belts.
I am using Mach3 and cheap drivers.
These look like good prices.

rjenkinsgb, I appreciate your input and apologize for my snarky reply.

Allow me to reiterate, in the form of a mission statement for this thread and this stage of my project.

I seek brand name and suppliers that you guys trust.

This is the data extracted from other posts that I am finding helpful, thanks guys

Anaheim Automation
Try asking at cnczone.com

I''m making this post cause, I be thinking, if you have been in this industry for a long time, you probably bought a stepper or 2. I bet you know where to get quality for a reasonable price.

Help a guy out.

Something I should have mentioned is if you call dome of these manufacturers you can ask to speak with what they normally call "an applications engineer". You explain your goals and they will make suggestions on how to get from where you are to where you want to be. Most good manufacturers have them available.

Ron

rjenkinsgb, I appreciate your input and apologize for my snarky reply.

Allow me to reiterate, in the form of a mission statement for this thread and this stage of my project.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the appropriate parts and sources, both drive system and mechanical such as leadscrews and rails are totally different between a very machine and a large machine - and you have not given anyone the slightest clue what size of machine you are looking to build!

Is it this size?
Cutter_small.jpg

Or this size?
Cutter_Large_s.jpg

I'd guess somewhere in between, but where???

It's a bit like someone asking for a design for a good quality audio amplifier, but not saying if it's for headphones or a concert hall!

and you have not given anyone the slightest clue what size of machine you are looking to build!

Perhaps there is another way to look at the world..
Quoting myself:
steppers nema 34

Much can be gleaned even it is written down.

Consider the power supply,

80v x 40 amps = 3200 watts

(I may want to add more loads)

3 axis device, 4 motors or loads (2 motors for a gantry) + a maybe load lets divide the power supply by 5

(BTY: Gecko's max out at 7amps x 80v, 560 watts) I could be wrong

That yields 640 watts, double that.

How much gantry can you push around with 1280 watts?

multiple choice:

a. 30 feet
b. 1 foot
c. a little over 4 feet to accommodate common material width
d. is the starkieness coming out again?

Unless the gantry is made out of carbon fiber including the rails, 30 feet is out. It is also a bit of an overkill at 1 foot even if the gantry is made of steel.

check my math

1674933572542.png

Before D.B. Cooper jumped out of a 727, I was learning servos.
In 1975 I hooked up my first stepper. Not that I'm an expert, it's been a long time.
I am sure I will ask many basic questions along the way.

All the excellent points that you have brought up have already been considered. That is why I am asking:

Where to buy, and not what to buy, questions.

ce0d16c2.jpg

Use your shoot, don't hijack my thread.

So you already mentioned Gecko Drives, they have a good reputation, product and support, rather than going with unknown Chinese etc.
BTW, quoting the NEMA size of a stepper just indicates its face mounting size, it is not a real indication of power.

How much gantry can you push around with 1280 watts?

Watts are irrelevant unless you state a required rapid speed.
The acceleration or positioning force is related to motor torque.
There are plenty of nema34 motors rated 5Nm+ that fit within the drive ratings you give.

Two of those give 10Nm or more to move the gantry.

That gives you something over 500Kg linear force at low speeds, using 10mm pitch ballscrews.
Down to "only" 200+Kg at 600 RPM, 6 metres/min with the motor I looked at the torque curve for.

Those would be capable of operating pretty big plasma or laser cutter gantries!
(eg. throwing a 200Kg gantry around at up to 6m/min with accelerations of anything between 1 and 2.5G).

Or with 20mm pitch ballscrews, 250kg+ force at low speed down to 100Kg+ at 12m/min.

If you have already decided the drive make, and won't give mechanical dimensions or weights to allow selecting appropriate mechanical framing and motion system parts suppliers, I'm not sure what you want?

If the stuff above its supposed to indicates 8ft x 4ft, working area, why not just say that?

If you are building a large CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, a CNC Router, etc. then you are at the right place. This Bipolar NEMA34 87 kg-cm Hybrid Stepper Motor is your perfect choice. So the most attractive thing about this monster NEMA stepper motor is the 87 kg-cm torque they provide.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back