Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EPROM - Motorola MC68705P3S problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Yeung

Hi guys,

We've had trouble reading our MC68705P3S with our new BeeProg2C programmer from ELNEC. It lists the model as a supported device in its software.

PROBLEM: But when I tried to insert the EPROM to 'verify' a blank IC, an error of "Device insertion test - error! - Bad contact at pin 40 (s) of programmed chip." [please see PIC 1]

I checked the software's 'Device Info' for this particular model. [see PIC 2] I've followed the diagram on how to insert it but I do not understand the "INTERCONNECTION" note in color red under the diagram.

Please help.

BACKGROUND: We're trying to read a programmed EPROM so we can copy its contents. The copied contents are now intended to be programmed unto a new Blank EPROM. Please help us, we're fairly new to this.

Attachments

• PIC 1 - MC68705P3S - Device ERROR.jpg
    PIC 1 - MC68705P3S - Device ERROR.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 443
  • PIC 2 - MC68705P3S - Device Info.jpg
    PIC 2 - MC68705P3S - Device Info.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 419
First of all!! You shouldn't be copying the EPROM if you don't hold the IP... Secondly the documentation explains that you cannot read that chip, the chances are the chip will be read protected...

Thank you for your advice! We appreciate this.

If the chip is read-protected though, what would be your recommended step to read the chip? And how should we do this?

*By the way, the EPROM we're copying is our own. As our supplier had migrated to another country, and we couldn't find someone else who can do this for us here.*

Thanks!

By the way, the EPROM we're copying is our own
Then surely you should already have the hex files, if not you can ask the supplier for the relevant info.
Just because the chips are yours doesn't mean you have bought the IP...

If the chip is read protected, there is no way to read the data.. When I develop for clients, they pay me for the IP when the job is completed...

If you have had development done and are paying on a chip to chip basis, you may not own the firmware!!

Then surely you should already have the hex files, if not you can ask the supplier for the relevant info.
Just because the chips are yours doesn't mean you have bought the IP...

If the chip is read protected, there is no way to read the data.. When I develop for clients, they pay me for the IP when the job is completed...

If you have had development done and are paying on a chip to chip basis, you may not own the firmware!!

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, we cannot contact our supplier right now as he was only an independent developer. We think he changed his numbers when he moved to the U.S..

If we can't contact him, then there's no way to read the chip. Is that correct?
If so, what do you recommend for us to do? Find another developer who could do this for us and program this completely from scratch?

Your options are limited... If the chip has been read protected then no! I suspect this is the case as the programmer is whinging... To re-develop will take a bit of money.... How complex is the program? The development of a new program could be thousands of pounds..

Howdy, an upside to a rewrite is the Vastly more advanced uCs in the Freescale family. I'm thinking a 705 is 3 generations old.
You'll also pay absurd $ for out of production parts.

If you know Exactly what its' behavior is, coding it is straightforward. G.H.... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back