Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EPROM and RS-232

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I want to use an RS-232 port to feed individual bits and send them as bytes into an EPROM.

The question is, how do I synchronize between the speed of the data coming out of the RS-232 port and the speed in which the IC's (8 bit shift register, and the 150ns EPROM) receive the data?

And what is the best shift register I should use?

If someone else has a better answer, please tell me.

mstechca said:
I want to use an RS-232 port to feed individual bits and send them as bytes into an EPROM.

The question is, how do I synchronize between the speed of the data coming out of the RS-232 port and the speed in which the IC's (8 bit shift register, and the 150ns EPROM) receive the data?

And what is the best shift register I should use?

If someone else has a better answer, please tell me.

You don't use a shift register (at least not on it's own), the device you're looking for is a UART - you used to be able to buy 'stand alone' ones, which you could use to convert from serial to parallel, or parallel to serial.

But you also need a number of other IC's, depending on how you plan to implement it? - it's probably far easier to use a micro-controller on-board, and let that do the programming - receiving the RS232 data directly from the PC itself.

If you want a PC run one, have a look at my site where I have a file I downloaded many years ago.

I dont want to use a microcontroller.

I just want to be able to send data from my PC to the Eprom at the fastest rate possible.

Sounds like you need an eprom programmer.

JimB

JimB said:
Sounds like you need an eprom programmer.

JimB

Yes, that's why I gave him a link to one, but you need more bits than just a single shift register!.

His 'requirement' to 'send data at the fastest possible rate' also leads me to believe he doesn't really know about this though - there's no 'fastest rate', you repeatedly program each location until it reads correctly, then over program more times (actual number of times is in the spec for the EPROM). Then you move to the next byte and do the same - it's not a fantastically fast procedure.

My suggestion of a microcontroller was to greatly simplify an EPROM programmer, a single 16F877 should have enough I/O to do it in a single chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back