Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

energy and power basic

Status
Not open for further replies.
in general we are checking whether the signal is power signal or energy signal. What is the use of finding whether the signal is power or energy signal. Do we have any special characteristics for energy and power signal that will be usefull for further analyses.In a nutshell WHY DO WE WANT CARE THE SIGNAL IS POWER OR ENERGY .Thank you in advance

Who is the we in "we are checking........"? :confused:
Power is energy per unit time (e.g. 1 watt of power equals 1 joule of energy per second), so the distinction between whether a signal is power or energy makes little sense.
They contain both.

1)All periodic signal are power signal but all power need not to be periodic signal . We have familiar example step signal.but i cant agree with that see my below derivation(attached file) and correct me

2)all non periodic signal are energy signals but vice versa is not true. could you give me an example for this .

Attachments

• IMG_20150223_143359087.jpg
    IMG_20150223_143359087.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 270
Hello,

You are looking for the "energetic classification" of signals. Lookup the following concepts:
- Finite energy signals.
- Finite average power signals.

A signal can have infinite energy, but a finite average power (check your second equation for power of the Heaviside step (Is the limit of infinity/infinity really infinity, or is it something else?).

Also, check the way you defined u(t). Are you trying to define a gate/boxcar or a "true" Heaviside function (i.e : 0 ; t < 0 and 1 ; t > 0 ). Either way, your integral disagrees with your function.

Try to write your equations in a symbolic way first, then the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back