Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

End of XP support April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to have a look at the big unknown....

XP is like a 10 Year marriage for me...

1. She never breaks
2. She has never surprised me with things I don't want.
3. She never pretends to be something she is not.
4. She never asks for things that I cannot provide.
5. She never questions my decisions.
6. She will tell me in her own way if she is unhappy.
7. She realizes that she needs medicine from M$ from time to time to keep her healthy.

Now, M$ has decided to take her Medicine away. Because they want her to die...

I believe that M$ will be in for a rough ride in the time they try to convince conglomerates to change...

Old saying is " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Big organizations like to spend money where it counts...development, sales, production. Not on things that are already in place and working for Years...

I see resistance of note about the death of XP from the Corporate Community.

Time will tell.

Regards,
tvtech

TV... See if you can get a copy of Windows 7... In my book ( since the last service pack ) its as stable as XP.. When I am at work, I get annoyed that XP doesn't have certain quirks that Windows 7 and 8 have... I'm getting on better with Windows 8 now its been upgraded to 8.1.. Sure! Metro isn't really designed for laptops and desktops, but you can almost stop that from running a tall... Even when you get your head round metro you'll find certain things easier to do..

I am using Windows 8.1 as I'm typing.... It took a couple of months but I'm fine with it now...

I see resistance of note about the death of XP from the Corporate Community.

Here's how I see it...

Any forward thinking company already has Win 7 Pro in place, at least in the western world, and have been rolling it out and using it for a quite some time now. Primarily done at the request of the users based on my experience, as that's what the majority are using at home and is already familiar to them. It cuts down on support tickets and chatter and has good support for modern peripherals and third party software.

Oh I'm sure there will be some noise from the small guys that have a half dozen peers sharing a hub, probably sat in an office somewhere that hasn't seen a coat of paint in 20 years, but that's about all it will amount to. Win 7 is the way forward for the enterprise, at least for the time being. They will not adopt win 8, or anything else for that matter, until they move the entire enterprise domain over to later server versions, which is highly unlikely any time soon due to the investments they have already made in both time, training and hardware. That's not to say that they will not already be planning for it and likely testing it, ready for rolling it out when the time is right to do so :)

As far as large corporates are concerned, it will happen eventually, but it will be driven by "requirements" not just because M$ say its time for a change, or come up with some fancy new name for Active Directory :D

Windows 7 I liked except the PK3 issue with 64 bit version, I have no idea why they didnt let win 7 go on abit longer??? I like win 8.1 better now I have the classic start button, but I still prefer win7 or XP. I tried putting win 7 on this laptop but it wont have it, somehow its locked into using win 8, one thing I totally hate is the auto update thing, that insists on shutting you down when you dont want it!
I also cant install Linux on this laptop, so I am pretty sure there is something in the Bios to stop it

LG, Check out the security settings in the bios, particularly those related to Secure Boot and UEFI. Also, watch out for older software utilities that only know how to deal with MBR partition types, I have seen many a hard disk totally corrupted because of folks being unaware of what's going on behind the scenes, best to update those to later versions that can also properly handle GPT types of partition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back