Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

End of XP support April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys

So, finally Microsoft is going to kill support for their best OS ever. Crazy stuff.

I use XP SP3. I do not need anything else.

And neither do Millions of others/organizations out there.

I like the simple XP interface. I do not need all the Windows latest bells and whistles.

A computer is not supposed to be "pretty" to look at. It is supposed to work like any normal tool.

Regards,
cross tvtech

Unlike previous versions that Microsoft phased out, XP requires activation, so you cannot re-install it if Microsoft's server refuses activation.

I wonder if they still do the activations, or you are not allowed to install the software that you have bought on your new computers?

Unlike previous versions that Microsoft phased out, XP requires activation, so you cannot re-install it if Microsoft's server refuses activation.

I wonder if they still do the activations, or you are not allowed to install the software that you have bought on your new computers?

That will be interesting to see.

My XP came with my Lappie. All original and genuine software.

I periodically re- install XP when it suits me.

Regards,
tvrech

Hi Guys

So, finally Microsoft is going to kill support for their best OS ever. Crazy stuff.

I use XP SP3. I do not need anything else.

And neither do Millions of others/organizations out there.

I like the simple XP interface. I do not need all the Windows latest bells and whistles.

A computer is not supposed to be "pretty" to look at. It is supposed to work like any normal tool.

Regards,
cross tvtech
I have Win 8 and I love it. It took a little while to get used to, but it's easy. And there are all kinds of cool Apps.
I installed 8.1 a couple of weeks ago.
It's time for XP to join the dinosaurs...

Depends on where you get your program from. My brother is a local tech at a computer store and the business versions we have have never needed authorization to use. Just type in a code when asked during install and they are good to go!

Depends on where you get your program from. My brother is a local tech at a computer store and the business versions we have have never needed authorization to use. Just type in a code when asked during install and they are good to go!

I am most honest :) customer. I buy everything in stores. When I install it, it's good for a month unless you activate it through Internet.

Wonder if Ubuntu will fill that gap.

Hate to see XP go. Hate that all the software I bought is now gone too. What a waste.

Wonder if Ubuntu will fill that gap.

I don't think so. I tried it. During installation, it downloaded half a gigabyte of language packs (which I don't need, but it never asked). Every time it runs, a very annoying popup comes up that it is unsafe because they have a newer version and I must upgrade to the newest. It auto-mounts flash drives and I couldn't find a way to disable this in 20 minutes. Generally, it is mimicing Windows in every way including all the stupid things. Nothing left of linux's spirit. You could say it's free, but to my mind it's rather worthless.

XP was a great OS, and still is. However, there were a lot of flaws and security loopholes that have been abused by hackers, spammers, and scammers. While I very much enjoyed XP, I think it is finally time to kill support and put more focus on their upcoming products, like improvements to Windows 8. Windows 7 is a fantastic OS, and I actually prefer it to XP. It may take a little bit of getting used to, since Microsoft re-thought the layout, but I highly recommend upgrading to 7 if you still use XP. It is worth it.

That's my $0.02.
Matt

Hi Matt and thank's for your post above.

I still do Banking and all kinds of risky stuff with XP. Never ever an issue :cool:.

XP is still out there in Millions of stable businesses Worldwide. This is going to be a watershed Month for Microsoft.......

I look forward to see how they handle it :)

Regards,
tvtech

My laptop runs XP SP3 but is now 10 yrs old so is due for retirement. It's getting increasingly flakey. I guess I'll have to disturb the moths in my wallet at some point and buy a shiny new laptop, no doubt with the latest flavour of Windoze pre-installed. I'm not looking forward to having to install my old apps and sort out compatibility issues.

My laptop runs XP SP3 but is now 10 yrs old so is due for retirement. It's getting increasingly flakey. I guess I'll have to disturb the moths in my wallet at some point and buy a shiny new laptop, no doubt with the latest flavour of Windoze pre-installed. I'm not looking forward to having to install my old apps and sort out compatibility issues.

Hi Alec

I am using an Acer 5680 from 2006. I thought 8 years for a lappie was exceptional :)

And you have one that is ten years old...must be a really well built HP or similar type...

Regards,
tvtech

It's a Sony Vaio. Giving occasional disk read errors. Disk is getting on for full (despite several off-loads to other media) so Windoze can take ages shuffling things around.

XP Pro, quite possibly the widest adopted OS ever, certainly in the enterprise and education markets. Not without its problems or shortcomings, but a fantastic OS none the less. Win 7 Pro is poised to take its place on the podium, and with good reason, it is a fantastic piece of programming and, credit where it is due, a real achievement for M$. However, until M$ come up with something that looks and feels much less like your mobile phone and much more like a traditional desktop OS they will find themselves in the same situation with Win 7 as they are now with Win XP :)

However, until M$ come up with something that looks and feels much less like your mobile phone and much more like a traditional desktop OS..
I have one win8 machine and first thing I did was changing the desktop to "classic" mode.. you can do that you know.

New laptop win8.1 and I totaly hate it!! awful to use. WIN7 is good in 32 bit but win7 64 bit has killed 3 pk'3, I loved xp and still have a PIRATE copy on a VM on the win 7 machine. I did have a real copy of XP but it started getting funny with me every time I reloaded it on, always asking for activation. So I got a pirate version instead. As far as I am concerned I have a legit copy I cant use so why not!
Now Microsoft own Nokia wait for really crap flakey phone software to come out! I wish microsoft would stay out the phone market! I like Linux but I cant use Altium with it, which is a legit copy on a old xp laptop.
Sad day when microsoft kill off there best OS to date. I also got to use a machine dad had in his office a couple of years ago, it used windows NT, that was also pretty good. VISTA was programed by people on drugs! What I hate is the fact you buy a new machine and dont get a say in what OS is on it, When we got the new laptop we wanted win7 but win 8had been out 2 weeks and we couldnt get a new laptop with win7!!!
The worse bit for me is every time they bring out a new OS you get less and less access to ports etc. I also dont like the fact that alot of xp stuff wont work on win8 even with the compatibility thing.
Its time pc manufacturers offered Linux and windows on there machines!! That might make microsoft sit up and take note, they might start debugging before release, they might even start implementing customer service! I think its so unfair they have a strangle hold on the market, rules should be changed so that each OEM has to offer a choice of OS with its machines, if they used Linux the cost of a new machine would drop by £100

How do I get classic mode on win 8 without loosing everything?

Done :D and yes much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back