Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Encoder replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakub34

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to order an encoders for three of our inkjet printers but the prices from the inkjet supplier are ridiculous. I want to order one from shop and just wire it myself. The inkjet input for encoder has a weird set of cables and it is not clear to me which encoder should I use. There are four pins in 9pin Dsub:

+24V pin 1
0V pin2
+5V pin3
Input against ground pin8

I was not able to find any 2500 ppr encoder that matches this kind of wiring. May I ask for some wisdom here?

Thank you
All the best

Solution
It looks like there are several type sold for that printer depending on the mounting type required...
eg. RHI90N-0LAAAR61N-00100
From the P&F datasheet,

That part number breaks down to:
RHI90N Series,
38mm hollow shaft,
Plug 9416, 12 pin
Radial cable exit
10-36V push-pull output
100 line count ??????

or,
RVI58N-YY2YYR16N-02500, which has a 6mm shaft, 5V supply and 5V RS422 outputs..

It does appear that any general incremental encoder should work & it appears it only uses the two quadrature channels.

I'd try something like this, as an experiment:

Try it on the 5V supply first.
It would...
What does,
Input against ground pin8
Mean?

BTW, you'll probably find that the encoders are custom to that printer and not available elsewhere.

Mike.

If it is a quadrature encoder, there would be at least four connections, 2 for power, and A & B quadrature pulses.
Single ended/one channel, 3 would be needed.

Can you provide some photos of the existing encoder?

Also, have you traced the power and ground connections to the power connections on other components, or are the values just from meter readings?

There is no existing encoder, I want to find a replacement for the ones that I don't want to order.

The only thing they mention in the manual is Dsub pin explanation I wrote in the first post. I looked inside the printer and it matches the description. The only thing extra is shield connection. Could it be like this?

+24V A+
0V GND
+5V Vcc
Input A-

There is no existing encoder, I want to find a replacement for the ones that I don't want to order.

The only thing they mention in the manual is Dsub pin explanation I wrote in the first post. I looked inside the printer and it matches the description. The only thing extra is shield connection. Could it be like this?

+24V A+
0V GND
+5V Vcc
Input A-

What happened to the ones that were in the machines?, it's a picture of those that people are asking for.

The pin labels don't seem to make much sense?.

As always, keeping the make and model of the printer secret isn't helping your questions.

What happened to the ones that were in the machines?, it's a picture of those that people are asking for.

The pin labels don't seem to make much sense?.

As always, keeping the make and model of the printer secret isn't helping your questions.
Oh, its a Linx 8900.
There were no encoders. The printers are working without them, I want to add encoders to increase reliability.
The pin labels made no sense to me too, that is why I posted it here.
I guess the easiest way would be order at least one and copy everything.

I just recieved new information from the supplier and the first manual is not complete. The new information makes more sense. Thanks For the help.
1655914870475.png

It looks like there are several type sold for that printer depending on the mounting type required...
eg. RHI90N-0LAAAR61N-00100
From the P&F datasheet,

That part number breaks down to:
RHI90N Series,
38mm hollow shaft,
Plug 9416, 12 pin
Radial cable exit
10-36V push-pull output
100 line count ??????

or,
RVI58N-YY2YYR16N-02500, which has a 6mm shaft, 5V supply and 5V RS422 outputs..

It does appear that any general incremental encoder should work & it appears it only uses the two quadrature channels.

I'd try something like this, as an experiment:

Try it on the 5V supply first.
It would need pull-up resistors to the supply as it's got open collector outputs. 1K should be OK for 5V, or 10K for 24V.

You may have to gear it up with a small timing belt & pulleys if the machine cannot take that low a count.

Solution
The printer is an industrial one, with a separate head for use over a conveyor belt etc. for product marking.

There are several different line count encoders listed by the printer makers, so I'm guessing there is some facility in the machine to calibrate the count to belt (& target item) movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back