Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enable Pin vs Shutdown Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeKnepp

Hello Everyone, I have a problem here...

I am designing a board that I need a low voltage cutoff for...

I want to use the Enable pin to do this...
I have the circuit designed for a shutdown pin, but this is the opposite of the enable pin, right???

Here is my design in LTSpice...
Shutdown Pin.PNG

So here are my 2 questions...

1. What is the difference between Enable and Shutdown Pins?

2. What type of "adapter" do I need to make one work for the other, if that is even possible?

Thank you all in advace for your help!!!

Enable and Shutdown pins are basically the same thing just named with a different a emphasis. Also consider that such pins can also be either active low or active high. So...
Active LO Enable = Active HI Shutdown
Active HI Enable = Active LO Shutdown

So basically you need the equivalent of a NOT gate with an appropriate output (push-pull or open-collector/drain) depending on what you are driving. This can be accomplished with an actual logic gate or a pull-down transistor + pull-up resistor or a totem pole or whatever.

If you take a look at your circuit there, Q1 and R2 already invert the base of Q1. So if you need to invert it again it you just run your SHTDWN output through another set of those.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back