Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emitter Follower Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I do more tinkering with microcontrollers than anything else, but now and again I like to brush up on the analog stuff and if anything just try to understand the underlying component which makes digital electonics possible - the Transistor.

This time I am looking at an Emitter Follower circuit, I am referring to an example from the "Art of Electronics".

The goal: make Ve =7.5, Ie = 1mA from a supply of 15v.

Now here are the steps that the source material suggests:-
1. Choose Ve. For the largest possible symmetrical swing without clipping, Ve = half of Vcc or 7.5v
2. Choose Re. if Ie is to 1mA then Re = 7.5v / 0.001 (1mA) = 7.5k
3. Choose the divider. Vb = Ve+0.6 = 8.1v. the ratio there for is 1.17 (8.1 /6.9). The preceeding loading criterion requires that the parallel resistance of the resistors be about 75k (1/10 7.5k times hFe) - suitable values are 130k and 150k

Now take a look at the "what the book suggests" attachment. The first thing that strikes me is that using the values supplied:-
1. The PD output is 7.399v when I was expecting 8.1v
2. The Ve is 6.775v which isn't 7.5V
3. Ie 90uA which is a little shy of 1mA.

Now, thanks to the great help you guys gave me in previous posts I thought I would see if I could correct this. Here's what I did:-

Taking previous steps 1 and 2 as read.
3. PD resistance = 150k = 15 / ((Ie / hFE) * 10)
4. Top resistor = 69k = 6.9v / 100uA
5. Bottom resistor = 90k = 8.1v / 90uA (10uA flowing into base)

Now take a look at the "This looks better" attachment.
1. The potential divider is a couple of 10ths of a millvolt shy of 8.1v
2. The Ve is almost 7.5v
3. Ie is almost 1mA.

Now please don't misunderstand me, the book I have quoted is by far the best electronics source I have, but it suffers from what the other material I have read does - the examples just don't appear to work.

Have I misunderstood the "value" of this particular example?

Best Wishes

Mark

Attachments

• Emitter Follower - What the book suggests.jpg
    Emitter Follower - What the book suggests.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Emitter Follower - This looks Better.jpg
    Emitter Follower - This looks Better.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 341
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads