Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMC problem investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I'm looking for someone / some company that can help with investigation into an EMC problem. I'm expecting to pay for suitable expertise, time and equipment use.

Does anyone know any good EMC test / investigation facilities in the UK, that would be recommended?

The testing will be for immunity to radiated signals at around 500 MHz. I want to find what changes can be made to the board to improve the robustness.

Most PCB houses will do EMC testing... I know the one I use does.... I can send a unit to them and they test it... They don't issue certs but will get it ready so it'll pass.. Where in blighty are you?

This book may be some help: EMC for Product Designers by Tim Williams, 2007, Newmans, ISBN 978-0-75-0681-4 (later editions available)

spec

I'm looking for someone / some company that can help with investigation into an EMC problem. I'm expecting to pay for suitable expertise, time and equipment use.

Does anyone know any good EMC test / investigation facilities in the UK, that would be recommended?

The testing will be for immunity to radiated signals at around 500 MHz. I want to find what changes can be made to the board to improve the robustness.

WHat was the cause of this problem? Unintended radiation or insufficient reception or both or SMPS interference? What is the product type?

Testing for EMI to exist is easy, while debugging EMI to eliminate it takes experience and the same environment.

I see you used a test house that was quite local. Were they any good? Did they do what was needed?

I found https://www.etsemc.co.uk/ and I from what I could tell on the phone, they seemed to know their stuff.
I think they all do what's necessary.. It is only so you can be sure that you comply.... You don't have to get the cert at all..

My system has been ATEX approved, but I haven't any paperwork... I can just tell folk that it complies...

Speaking of RF susceptability in automotive accessories, I once had a GM Chev Blazer that would speed up about 20Mi/h if the OEM cruise control was engaged and I keyed a 25W transmitter on a VHF Ham rig on any legal frequency from 144MHz to 450MHz.

I once worked an EMS factory that made a battery rejuvenator that consumed only 1W off car/truck while running but delivered 50A pulses that very of course quite narrow but desulphonated the batteries but caused AM interference for truckers where FM reception was poor. I have never had an EMI problem, .I couldn't fix with the right tools and time to do it.

I grew up in the midlands of this country and once spearheaded a virtual Eng Design group with all our resources around the world in some of the 115 factories.

once we did EMC testing on Paoli, PA and learned how to win at poker on the Apple , went to Atlantic City only to find they thwarted the tactic with 100:1 ratio on all tables. It used the binary double method on successive losses, so couldn't use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back