Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzero349

Ok... this is a hefty topic.

For a project I am doing I would like to connect a 8-bit micro controller to the internet (probably a pic).

I am looking for different tcp/ip stack chips to interface my mcu with.

I have looked at the PICDEM.NET board and that looks like maybe a good place to start. Can anyone offer any other advice for how to get started?

Zilog has a new Z80 with built in ethernet MAC. They have a kit for $100 with everythting you need. Maxim has an 8051 with built in Ethernet as well. I havent seen a dev kit for it though. Both of these should have an app note with basic stack code. These integrated solutions will be much easier to work with than interfacing a PIC with an external chip. They also have better memory addressing (8Megs) etc. that will help with an embeded internet project.

Hope this helps
Brent

There are many solutions with different degrees of complexity (from the user's point of view), but for a brainless solution: if you just want to connect something to the internet, don't care particularly how much it costs, and don't want to screw with learning all about TCP/IP, you can't beat the siteplayer.

www.siteplayer.com

j.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the integrated boards.

John, thank you but the purpose of this project is to learn about tcp/ip and do some dirty work.

I guess I want to learn about tcp/ip and I want to program the mcu to get on the net - but I don't want it to be too complexe either.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I am looking to program one of these mcus:
PIC
68hc05
68hc08
cypress
scenix
cop8

anybody know of built in ethernet with one of these?

Jumpstart your evaluation and design efforts with a complete development kit, which includes RCM2200 microprocessor core module, prototyping board, Dynamic C development system and complete documentation on CD-ROM, serial cable for programming and debugging, Getting Started manual, and AC adapter (U.S./Canada only).

Description U.S./Int'l U.S. Pricing
RCM2200 RabbitCore Development Kit. Includes RCM2200 and development tools (see above).

Model RCM2200. 256K Flash, 125K SRAM.
**broken link removed**

I bought it because I was looking for an internet core with more FLASH, since the SitePlayer only has like 48k. I don't know anything else about it except that it worked, but was too deep for me to get into.

Like every uC, you'll find people who love it and people who hate it.

j.

thanks... i don't want to use rabbit if I don't have too..

As for cmx I have looked into that... I'm not sure if it would be too easy for my project or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back