Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet service Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Our internet service expires Aug 8 and the price more than doubled. What can we do?

Long store short. HOW to get a better deal???

Comcast service for Internet with Wifi & 2 TVs & home dial phone, was about $100 a month with 2 rental boxes.

Now same service bundle package with 100 more worthless channels is $235. every month locked in for 2 years.

If we agree we get $60 discount the first month then $235 every month for 2 years.

Definition of $235 is for the service is not the 2 rental boxes. Rental boxes can still increase any amount they want as many times as they want, our service was $100 plus $10 for rental boxes.

We have $30 home dial phone service we have NO phone for it, this is part of the bundle, we have to buy there $300 phone NO other phone works. If we use the phone it cost extra.

Looks like we are screwed into $171. first month service then $235 every month for 2 years. If rental boxes go up $15 every 3 months we have to pay they have a blank check agreement.

==================================================================================================================

If we switch to AT&T they charge $350 to install the service. Service costs more than what we have and we get less. Rental boxes are $200 every month plus $100 for the service.

===================================================================================================================

On another forum people are talking about something new, if we buy our own box & dish and set it up our self we get Free cable TV. Signal comes right from the satellites not from any cable TV company. They claim this is something new that bypasses the cable TV companies. Company selling this makes money form box & dish sales not monthly cable service.

Last edited:
Separate your service providers.

For me:
internet=150Mbps $75/mo ($100 one time cost install that they will probably waive now)
AT&TNow (basic internet streaming TV service) $59/mo ( runs via browser on PC, Apple TV, other devices)

I use cell phone. I don't use land phone anymore.

i hate comcast.... you're on a neighborhood router, so if you have neighbors that are gamers or big torrenters, your speed is not as advertised. they don't allow the use of certain security apps (and they actively block some of them). you don't have local control of your modem settings.

i've got centurylink VDSL for internet and it has none of the above limitations....

Hi Gary.

Keep shopping for alternatives. The fees you show are abuse. You are paying their CEOs yatchs.
My very humble service is $18/month with no 1, 2 years contract. refused their WiFi, modem is no charge, have my points wired ethernet and watch internet TV just fine (wwitv.com) when I want to. If I would like, I can connect my junkie $5 WiFi router from Goodwill but no.

Bought a $100 laptop at the pawn shop and it is dedicated only to tune TV stations. Ethernet in; HDMI out, period.

On another forum people are talking about something new,

If that is FTA television I have it (two 7 feet diameter parabolics) but it is dying and not new at all. If is something else, would investigate.

Typical, people pay for the comfort. Without lifting the butt from the sofa, a remote button selects another source. Not my case.

Last edited:
i hate comcast.... you're on a neighborhood router, so if you have neighbors that are gamers or big torrenters, your speed is not as advertised. they don't allow the use of certain security apps (and they actively block some of them). you don't have local control of your modem settings.

Set the modem to bridge mode, install your own router, then you'll have control.
Won't do anything for network contention though since cable isn't a switched network.

Now same service bundle package with 100 more worthless channels is $235. every month locked in for 2 years.
How much is just internet service by itself?

You might consider doing that and subscribing to some streaming services for your TV, using a device such as Roku or Amazon Fire Stick if you don't have a smart TV.

Buying you own WiFi modem can also help a little.
Typically the rental will pay for the modem in about a year.

I don't like talking on cell phones, which often have tinny voice quality, so I use an Ooma VOIP phone (about 15 bucks a month), which has excellent voice quality, and I have 6 cordless phones connected to it in the house so I don't have to go running after my cell phone when a call comes in.

If you have Verizon cell service, you can get 50Mb/sec download LTE wireless service modem (you connect to your own wifi access points. The box costs $240 plus $40/mo for service. If you don't have a Verizon cell phone service, the LTE internet access costs $60/mo.

5G service is $10 extra with 300Mb/sec downloads if available in your area

all unlimited data per month.

Last edited:
T-mobile has recently launched a similar service which I will strongly consider when it's available in my neighborhood.

If you have Verizon cell service, you can get 50Gb/sec download LTE wireless service modem
That's impressive, but I assume you mean 50Mb/sec (which should still be more than enough for HD video streaming). ;)

That's impressive, but I assume you mean 50Mb/sec (which should still be more than enough for HD video streaming). ;)
Corrected. Yes, the 300Mb/sec for $10 more is a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back