Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Elimination of transformer .Is It Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentnikoli

Hi friends .I want a 20 volt dc <SAY> directly from AC Mains without using a transformer .Is it possible to acieve wht i want? Plz help .
-Thank u :)

** Note. The DC current is very nominal say about few mili amps <upto 250 mili amps>

Basically the ckt which i wish to work on the set up involves a 555timer and a dc 547 transistor switching a 12 v torch bulb <150 mili amps>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can simply drop the mains down with a 'ballast resistor', using a constant load to keep the voltage the same - but it's very wasteful in generating loads of heat. Instead of a resistor you can use a 'capacitor ballast', which doesn't generate loads of heat, but does require a suitably rated capacitor - and usually of a perculiar value.

Both methods have been used over the years, the capacitor version is probably best - particularly with such a large drop.

In both cases, everything in the circuit is live to mains, so you need to construct accordingly.

you could just use an autotransformer - basically an inductive voltage divider, then use this "potted" down voltage to go into a rectifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back