Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics devices 1990 store for not failed electrolytic capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have old electronic devices from 1990 saved What is your recommendation for the storage period without the electrolytic capacitors failing due to disuse? I asked manufacturers and they didn't answer or they were confused

depends on the quality of the caps, but generally 15-20 years without use seems to be the average... storage temperature and humidity also have a role to play.. i used to work in a TV shop that had a cool basement with about 50-60% humidity and very old electrolytics stored there had much better shelf life there in the basement....

Normal low voltage ones (up to 35V) seem to last forever. I have a box of leftovers from a production job in the early 90s and I've never had a problem with them..

High voltage (250V - 400V or more) ones could show high leakage or break down; I'd be a bit wary of those, or connect them to a low voltage supply for a day first.

Climate may have an effect, I just do not know. - I'm in England so its rare for anything to be really warm for any length of time.

one person referred to using the electronic devices of 1990 every month for 1 hour, otherwise the electrolytic capacitors of this device will depolarize, dry and lose capacitance, is this true? I do not mean shelf electrolytic capacitors but electrolytic capacitors from electronic devices since 1990
D_NQ_NP_634682-MLB32082044789_092019-O.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back