Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics Design Engineer -Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said anything about 1000amp 48v battery.
Yes you did.

Use Ohm's law to calculate the input current.

P = 240×200 = 48000W
Iin = 48000 ÷ 48 = 1000A

In fact it'll require more than that because it won't be 100% efficient.

Assuming 90% efficiency the current will be 1100A and you'll also need to get rid of 4800W of waste heat.

How much do you want to spend?

Where are you going to get 48V at 1.1kA from?

You'll need very thick cables.

Perhaps you aught to consider using a higher DC voltage.

Voltage

Yes you’re correct on the ohms law. In reality I have several design criteria's and the 48v input is just one of them. My intent was to provide some simple design concepts that would allow me to find someone to discuss in greater details the product design I am considering. There are certainly quite a bit I am lacking on in the electronic world.
I do plan to increase the input voltage as needed to produce the greatest output. If 48v is two small (which as you mention it is) then I will go to larger voltage, however I am not one to say what that voltage will be. I am not limited to the input voltage.
Anyway I have the funding to develop this as well as the other devices that are on the table. All of this work is on the tail end of a two prototype devices that will provide rapid charging to dc batteries. We will be able to provide sufficient charge on demand.
Thanks for all your input

Your requirement for the pure sinewave at high power is what drives the suggestion that you use a generator. It is quite simply the best way to go for that requirement. DC from the battery drives a motor which drives the AC generator, and minimal electronics.

Because you are going from low DC voltage to a high AC voltage means that you will be moving high currents. Heat goes as the square of the current. If you use in excess of 50V on the input you will have safety concerns on the input side as well as the output side. I regard this project as highly impractical. If you do find someone to do this, I'll be fascinated to hear how they made it work.

I believe your best bet is to buy the kind of syncronous inverters that the solar and wind power people buy for the purpose of selling power back to the electric utility.

Last edited:
Generator

The essence behind producing an inverter is to incorporate our charging device. The solar energy inverters are close to what I need but are not quite right in regards to output as well as most units have built in charging systems that I do not need at all. My hope is to produce a device that we can incorporate with our equipment as a package unit. Again there are other design concepts that will fall in to line with an inverter as we create them. I realized this is not a common design, but is it possible at all? Surely it is possible.

Design Consulting firm

The best place to go for Custom Electronic Design Services is Astinco:

**broken link removed**

For their projects check:

**broken link removed**

Analog2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back