Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic switch for guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_fontain

Hi there,

i've been looking for a certain type of switch and so far been unsuccessful
i am wanting to modify my guitar to allow for a manual tremelo effect.
all this consists of is a switch that when undepressed makes a circuit but when depressed slowly, will break the circuit and then make the circuit once again, strange i know.

I want to be able to play my guitar normaly and then rapidy cut and send the signal when pressing this switch to give a percussive quality to my playing, if you are wondering what the hell i'm on about i could send a bitmap image to help.

Please help!!

Thanks

john_fontain said:
Hi there,

i've been looking for a certain type of switch and so far been unsuccessful
i am wanting to modify my guitar to allow for a manual tremelo effect.
all this consists of is a switch that when undepressed makes a circuit but when depressed slowly, will break the circuit and then make the circuit once again, strange i know.

I want to be able to play my guitar normaly and then rapidy cut and send the signal when pressing this switch to give a percussive quality to my playing, if you are wondering what the hell i'm on about i could send a bitmap image to help.

Please help!!

Thanks

A 'switch' can't be pressed slowly - or at least it won't work slowly, it's either on, or it's off - it doesn't matter how fast or slow you press it.

It sounds like you want a volume pedal, where you can alter the volume with your foot.

It's not a volume pedal it's like a cheap tremelo effect you control yourself, i have all kinds of effects but want a more obvious, out of time tremelo to be controlled with my right hand once i've played a chord.

original signal __________________________________________

rapid switching ___ ____ ____ ____ ____ ___ ___

I could do this using two switches (one to break the original circuit so the other expression switch can be used to break and make the signal)
Or i could make the switch myself, i'm just wondering if there may be anything like this out there.

_____
| |
|____|
| |
| |
____| |____
| | | |
| === |
| | | |
Pick up o/p------------0===0---------------Amp i/p
| |__| |
| \ |
| / |
|______\____|

That's exactly what i need , thanx

john_fontain said:
I wasted so much time on that diagram and look at it!!

I looked at it - now I've got a headache 8)

Try drawing it with a graphics package and adding it as an attachment, a two colour GIF would be fine - you can only attach certain types of graphics, and try and keep it fairly small.

Would I be right in thinking that the pickup is normally connected directly to the amplifier - and when you press the button it disconnects it, until the button reaches the far end - when it connects again. The same obviously happens when you release the button.

This would produce a variable length quiet spot, depending how fast you pressed the button.

Wouldn't a simple mute switch work much the same, releasing it after the required mute inteval?.

A mute switch will break the circuit on depression, i'm needing a switch that makes the cicuit on depression, this is solely a musical need, as a guitarist it's easier to control when using this configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back