Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Scoreboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ericgibbs
I think we are saying the same thing
I agree each string is around 57ma or 230 ma per segment for 17% of the whole cycle

However, I may have misled, in any one cycle on average 30 segments will be on across 6 digits (ie approx 5 per digit)
I agree with your calculation for each digit but the control box will be delivering on average 5 *230 ma (1.6+ amps) to one digit or another during the whole cycle
From a digit perspective 7 segments on is 7* 230 ma ie 1.6+ amps for 17% of the cycle or 0.27 amp of a whole cycle - this obviously means less heat to dissipate

With this design I wanted to make the system as portable as possible
The digits are independent of each other and as robust as possible - Each digit contains the Leds, resistors and a socket for a short 1m 8-way cable to the control box

Another way to design the system would have been to run the 12 volt supply to the digits and have the switching controlled at that stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back