Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zambo

Me and a Friend built a model rocket, and we wanted to fire it with the rocket engines but the little electronic ignitors wouldnt work would it be dangerous to use more than 9volts on them say im talking like 1500V from a stun gun that you guys have in the projects area

I don't know how the ignitors are made, but I wouldn't exceed the manafacturer's recommendation.

However, if you want to make your own ignitor, I think 1500V is not enough for a decent spark. Try an automotive ignition coil - They give 10,000-20,000V (from a 12V battery).

The little ignitors need a hefty load of current through them to get red hot and ignite a little pyrotechnic material stuck to them. A stun gun is the wrong thing to use. If the ignitors burned up without light the rocket engine, they were probably not inside the engine enough. If they didn't even light you need more current. Use 4 'D' batteries or even a car battery(overkill) if thats all you have.
If the ignitors are ruined just bent a pc of thin copper wire and hammer the end flat, use this as a new ignitor.

got good to use

i tried that kind of thing with some electric igniters i made. i took a piece of steel wool, same concept as rocket igniters, and hooked it up to a 6v r/c car battery (700mah) and it ignited black powder. but when hook up to a camera flash circuit, with 330v, all it did was explode, in a blue light, and do nothing. those igniters are meant to get almost red hot, which will ignite the charcoal at the tip which will ignite the rocket engin. what i would do is make an igniter box out of a 6v rechargable r/c car battery, those work great and last forever, and you never have to buy another one because you can recharge it. go to radio shack, get a project box, some clips, wire, a push button, a on/off switch, and a dc power jack(for recharging it without taking it out of the box).

Similiar

Sorry to get off subject but I have a problem that is similiar. Every year my friend an I set up a nice Grand Finale fireworks display for our families and friends. The only problem is that everyyear we get more and more fireworks. I really need to figure out how to ignite the display from remote. I would like to use a keyfob or something similiar to trigger a relay to send 12 volts (car battery) to my ignition charge. I would really appreciate any help with this. My Dad says that it's not going to happen. I love proving him wrong. Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back