Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic gate lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code? OK, ._ _... _._. _..

This weekend I'll actually see what I have from that old program. The problem is connecting a bar code reader to a computer is no problem at all. However, interfacing the computer via USB to a piece of hardware (DO Module) is where the problems begin. Additionally if someone thinks I am going to do their school work they are seriously mistaken. I also think I wrote it in VB 6 or maybe a later VB .NET and without having that software the code is as useless as tits on a bull. :)

Ron

This is a download link to part of an old demo program I wrote years ago. The folder contains all the source code. It was written in VB 6.0 so as I mentioned earlier you will need VB 6.0 for the files to be of any value. The program itself was part of some software to be used in a calibration effort. The user scans a barcode and the software automatically looks up the procedure. There is an Access DataBase and a pile of word documents (procedures).

The idea is the code will show how the software links to a data base using jet engine. How you go about it is up to you and you need a working knowledge of VB and databases.

You will also need a barcode scanner!

Ron

Hi CZ

Yeah, it is a big set of files. It was a ***** to upload. The reason it is large is because of the data base file and as I mentioned a large pile of word documents (the procedures). The actual software is likely a few MB.

I don't know what the OP actually has for programming software so I didn't overly put effort into this. If you want to use a program to access a database The simplest method in VB was using the data control tool. Then setup the tool for the database. It needs mapped for the system it is used on.

All the OP really needs to know how to do is create a form with a text box or two. Then you need a scanner for doing bar codes. I have an Adesso NuScan 3000U I use, old but works fine. Something else he will need is some printing software to print bar codes. I use a free version of Avery Design Pro (Free download from Avery Label). You build a database using Access (or whatever) like an employee data base where each employee has a uni (unique) employee number bar coded on a badge. You scan the badge and if the employee number is found in the data base the door opens. You also need an output interface from the computer to the door striker plate. This is very basic and really does not provide much as to security. Unless the OP has everything needed it is a waste of time.

Ron

All the OP really needs to know how to do is create a form with a text box or two. Then you need a scanner for doing bar codes. I have an Adesso NuScan 3000U I use, old but works fine. Something else he will need is some printing software to print bar codes. I use a free version of Avery Design Pro (Free download from Avery Label). You build a database using Access (or whatever) like an employee data base where each employee has a uni (unique) employee number bar coded on a badge. You scan the badge and if the employee number is found in the data base the door opens. You also need an output interface from the computer to the door striker plate. This is very basic and really does not provide much as to security. Unless the OP has everything needed it is a waste of time.

Ron

.does it mean i need another software in the output interface to the door striker plate?,,i cant realize how to make this particular output interface..

.yes, this is not provide much as to security....

Last edited:
You can use just about any standard bar code scanner with a USB interface preferred. There are literally dozens out there. Something like this cost about $38 USD. They go up from there.

The bar code scanner will scan a bar code (data) into some software that you write. You have yet to mention or tell me what software (as in language) you plan to write? Unless you begin providing some information I am done. I don't know what you have for software tools, I assumed you had a bar code scanner, If you want to operate a door or just about anything else you need a hardware device between the computer and the door. This is where you want for example a UDB DIO (Digital In Out) device. Now you tell me what you have and how you plan to go about this project or I suggest you seek help from another member.

Ron

Ron

I will install first the barcode reader and its software to PC...then make text boxes in vb...then i will use the scanner for bar codes..then print it..(i already have the Avery design pro)...is it what you mean sir?

That scanner should work fine. For starters once the scanner is setup just create a form in VB. For starters and to get an idea of how things will go place a single text box on the form and a single command button. Avery design Pro will work fine for creating bar code labels or for that matter just printing bar codes on a piece of paper to scan.

This weekend as time allows we will work with it. I will try and get some code snippits and examples made.

Ron

That scanner should work fine. For starters once the scanner is setup just create a form in VB. For starters and to get an idea of how things will go place a single text box on the form and a single command button. Avery design Pro will work fine for creating bar code labels or for that matter just printing bar codes on a piece of paper to scan.

This weekend as time allows we will work with it. I will try and get some code snippits and examples made.

Ron

i explored this software (Avery design Pro) sir,,i was able to create bar codes and print it into a piece of paper....my question will be like this, is it already readable by the barcode reader(any kind of barcode reader)?.

Yes, all barcodes are readable by any scanning device. (That's the theory, anyhow.) Think about all those thousands of products in a supermarket, each with a barcode. When's the last time you brought something to the checkstand and the scanner couldn't scan it? I've never seen that happen. (Sometimes the store won't have the item in its database, but that's a different problem.)

Ron

I have here another software that generate bar codes aside from Avery design pro...it is called TBarcode Generator that can print codes in MS Word 2007

Last edited:
Yes, all barcodes are readable by any scanning device. (That's the theory, anyhow.) Think about all those thousands of products in a supermarket, each with a barcode. When's the last time you brought something to the checkstand and the scanner couldn't scan it? I've never seen that happen. (Sometimes the store won't have the item in its database, but that's a different problem.)

i really appreciate your idea sir CZ,,,yeah you're right...it never happened..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back