Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Gas Flow Regulator Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

Hello,

Is there a valve out there that can control the amount of gas flowing through a tube by using signals/voltage from a microcontroller?

I want to be able to turn a knob or dial in a value either up or down to control the amount of gas coming from a gas canister...Kind of like a mechanical valve but without any of the manual labor used to regulate it yourself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How big do you need it? I've seen them around...but they're just called electromechanical valves or muscie wire valves (a specific novel kind). Maybe you are just using the wrong search time- "pneumatic valve" might be one or "3-way valve" might help you get somewhere. Solenoid valve might be another term.

Last edited:
They are called "Mass Flow Controllers". They are used extensively in the semiconductor fab industry. They are calibrated for different gasses used in semiconductor fabrication. Most of those gasses are really nasty and toxic (hexa-flexa-omigod!). They usually have an analog setpoint for flow and an analog input for actual flow. They often have network interfaces like DeviceNet or Echelon.

Mass flow controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We made a network interface for one from Brooks Instuments.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
proportional gas valve

I looked up the valves and I was not surprised by the astronomic price for them.

Here is a suggestion for a selfmade valve - if you happen to possess a lathe.
If you are experienced you can even make it with a drill press.

The function will be the same as throttle control for model combustion engines, with a needle valve, either being pushed or turned. The result will be a much smaller design than those offered and accurate enough for fine dosing.

And last not least the device will cost you a few Dollars for brass and a solenoid/geared motor.

Concerning safety controlling combustible gases there shouldn't be any problem. There are hundreds of gaskets and O-rings on the market, mostly in stock of plumbers who maintain gas ovens.

Boncuk

How big do you need it? I've seen them around...but they're just called electromechanical valves or muscie wire valves (a specific novel kind). Maybe you are just using the wrong search time- "pneumatic valve" might be one or "3-way valve" might help you get somewhere. Solenoid valve might be another term.

Nice suggestion. However the OP wants a valve regulating masses. A 3-way valve just switches from the input port to either output port or vice versa. Sayin "switch" it means they are always fully closed or fully open.

Regards

Hans

BTW: Your avatar is getting old. :D

You might also look under gas chromatography or gas-liquid chromatography. You will even find flow programmers. Digital gets a bit expensive. Analog, however, works fine if you have a two-stage pressure regulator upstream. For omigod-hexafluoride, the prices will match too. :D John

Last edited:
If you know what your want or need then I've seen some real deals on E-bay on used industrial control valves. You may have to do some research but many/most of the industrial control valve manufactures have decent on-line data on their valves.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Last edited:
Here is a suggestion for a selfmade valve - if you happen to possess a lathe.
If you are experienced you can even make it with a drill press.
Since all of our manufacturing has moved offshore there is nobody left who can even operate a lathe or a drill press. There is no economic incentive to learn those skills. Heavy Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back