Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic circuit for I-V measurements of solar cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velyana

Hello
Can you help me with creating a electronic scheme fot I-V measurements of solar cell. I have an example for this but it is some sort of block diagram, I need a principle scheme. If somebody can help me , please send me an answer and I will send the block diagram.

You could put a current-sense resistor in series with the solar cell load and use two analogue inputs and the ADC of a micro to measure and log the cell voltage and sense resistor voltage (hence current). Depending on the cell max voltage you might need a potential divider between the cell and the micro input.

Do you just want to characterize a single solar cell for hobby use, or do you want to automate this for production?

Are you planning doing this using discrete component only or do you have µ-controllers in mind?

Since I did this and set up systems for this and other research solar cell characterizations professionally, the first thing I have to ask is what are you after? Research grade cells, modules? Are you just looking for a few points such as Vmp, Imp, Pmax, Isc, Rsc, Rs, Rsh. I did not do high current arrays. Voltage sweep was from about -1 to +1 V max. Isc was never more than about 30 mA. The latest system was based on Keithley's Source meter line with up and down sweeps. Agilent has a source meter line too.

Activation energy measurements are a bit more complicated with currents in the pA range and voltages around +-100 V and an environmental chamber that went from +200 C to -80C. It wasn't ideal because of the fan, but it was OK.

The light source and temperature control will be your biggest headaches.

In a day or so, you may be able to post attachments to the forum. Use "Go advanced". Manage Attachments" to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back