Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Business Card Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin

For the last year or so, I've been stuck on the idea of an electronic business card. I don't want something that's too simple like an LED clock, but I'm having a difficult time coming up with ideas. I work for an engineering resources firm, so whatever circuit I come up with should need to be at least a little impressive, perhaps even useful. Circuits should be MCU based and can use 64x128 mono GLCD or 3240x240 CGLCD. Battery power or wall wart supplies, no mains power.

I'm not asking for anyone to give me a circuit, just ideas for what the circuit can do. Of course, it would need to fit on a PCB the size of a business card. Preferably, the parts could all be ordered from Digi-Key/Mouser though it might be possible for us to stock a few kits to give out with the business cards.

Ideas I've had so far...
  • 4 Wire resistance measurements
  • Thermocouple measurements
  • Just a simple but flashy graphical presentation on the LCD
  • Ultrasonic range finder

Last edited:
What? I'm talking about a PCB with name and contact information in silkscreen on one side and a mostly SMT circuit on the other. I'm just hunting for useful circuit ideas. DOn't want an e-ink business card.

Last edited:
They did PCB business cards on Hackaday.com

Your 128x64 GLCD will be both expensive (for something you hand out) and fragile. Not really a practical idea.

e-ink will be cheaper and will happen, it'll be on cereal boxes soon enough (just like minority report)
You could have a custom LCD made (like the kind you find on those handheld LCD games). It would be simple to drive compared to a GLCD.

I already have a handful of the LCDs and these wouldn't be cards that go to everyone that drops by. They'd go to new potential clients. Using the LCD wouldn't be a requirement either. I may just do one board, with an LCD, PIC32, a four wire measurement, and a speaker. If the 4 wire measurement circuit was good enough, it'd work well as a short finder. Play a higher pitch as the resistance goes down. Of course, it would require accurate milliohm measurement and a very accurate current source.

I'll check out hackaday too, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back