Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic art project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennet4.0

Hi my name is Bennett, new to the site and (oh god) I'm an artist. Practice many disciplines yet master of none. This is I.

I'm working on a project that I basically want to create a multi contact switch in the form of a push button, on/off like. I want it to create two circuits (power to two separate lights simultaneously) and cycle through ten positions.

Is this something that simple circuit building can accomplish? I believe I've got a solution if I were to physically build a rotating switch, but that I feel could be even more complicated than I have to make it. I have the mechanics somewhat worked out but no where near functional.

Can I commission someone to make this for me? Who can I contact? What is a fair price??

Thanks,
Bennett

What does "on-off push button with 10 positions mean"? That each time you push it, it connects a different way? Would a 10 position rotary switch do?

And there are two switches. Does each switch control one light, and have 10 different settings? What are you going to do to the light to make position 6 different from position 2?

the best way to describe this is to tell you about the art project.

I'm making a 6' on/off computer button out of foam and fiberglass. I am going to have four images, two men and two women, each on the n, s, e, w side of the glowing center. In the exact center I want a switch that can activate the opposing images to make them glow. The catch is that each figure should have two lights (a green and a red) behind them (LED) for back lighting and the reason for ten variations or cycles is because I want a feature that will:
1.turn them all red
2. turn them all green
3. turn the nf (north figure) green and sf (south figure) red
4. turn the nf red & sf green
5. turn the nf & sf green
6. turn the nf & sf red
7. turn the ef green and wf red
8. turn the ef red & sf green
9. turn the ef & ws green
10. turn the ef & wf red.

This of course is a play on being turned on vs turned off and the power play between a man and woman in these various states.

as well, a 4017 could be used, sequentially switching each of its 10 outputs at the push of a debounced button. Each output could control a relay to the lighting bank. Thats a pretty simple, non mechanical way as well.

Last edited:
Using a switch like I posted means he only needs a few batteries or a suitable wall wart, maybe a resistor, and 10 or 20 LEDs depending...

Anyway, in the spirit of Spinal Tap, I assume you meant a 6" button, not a 6' button. Tiny frolicking druids are hard to come by! :D

Assume nothing my friend. It actually will be 6 Foot in diameter. I'll post picks if I can pull it off brother.

Thanks for the info, I like the 10 pole switch. That's just my speed.

Thank you for all the info and contacts guys!

Let you know if I run into any problems.

Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back