Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durockguy

I would like to make a screen into an electromagnet. Is this possible? I want to be able to turn it on and off so that the screen can be cleaned. I have a few ideas, but don't know how to translate them into the project.
Thanks for the help in advance!

P.S. I'm not trying to screen out EMI!

Possibly, by haveing it in physical contact with an electromagnet you can do this. I'm guessing you want to use it as a filter for some type of ferrous particles? I don't think it would be very powerful and residual magnetism would require deguassing to get it to release all the particles, although you may be able to use the electromagnet and some AC for this.

You would need an iron or steel screen, I have rarely seen this except for something like hardware cloth. Window screen is usually plastic and used to be aluminum.

The material that I want to filter is sand. Various types of sand that have to free of metal particals. We have a screen that will work and currently pass the sand through it. It's actually more of a mesh. I would like to add the magnetism to it to help remove the metal.
Thanks Again!

Hi Durockguy,

Could you tell me a bit more about this please.
Is it a wet filter, or a dry filter ?
Why do you want to remove metal particles ?
Is it fine grained sand ?

Is it because the sand is used in ceramics
and metals discolour the result ?

Are you going to make a substantial machine to
handle large quantities, or do you just want a
modest unit to supply small amounts ?

You realise that a magnet will not attract most
metals, in practice only one type. But it will
also pull a bit on cobalt i think, not that
theres much of that lying about.

Could you say what metals might be in the sand,
and roughly the sizes of the particles ?

Cheers, John

I want to filter the sand because it is being vaccumed through steel pipes at around 250 cfm. The sand actually sand blasts the inside of the pipes and the metal that gets collected contaminates the sand.
The sand that we are filtering varies in size, from powder to something like beach sand. The filter I want to add to the system will be more like an insurance policy and doesn't have to be very fine.
I would like to use an electron magnet so that I can turn it off and clean it when it becomes full.
Thanks again!!

Running it through a screen would not be my first choice for two reasons. First, the screen is going to loose the ferrous particles it collects as sand continues to flow through it. Second, the screen is going to wear out quickly. Sand is harder than steel and you are, for all intents and purposes, sandblasting it(actually adding to your problem).

You would be better off if you allowed the sand to flow under a strongly magnetized plate. It could even be a permanent magnet. Vibrateing the sand at this point would help free up the particles so they could be attracted upward. The plate could be cleaned or inspected as necessary.

Lou

Hi Durockguy,

250 Cu.Ft/Min.
I dont think any electro-magnet will be a practical proposition
at these rates of travel. The metal that is scoured off would
be like a dust i would think.

The only thing that comes to mind which would separate at
high velocities would be a Dyson system.
You might have to choose the reject channel carefully with
the finer sands.

I think an electro-magnet is a non-starter, but some strong
permanent magnets on lengths of cord hanging down in the
discharge outlet is a possibility.

Regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back