Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic interferences - how to handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptkeu

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a little DIY lamp project with a capacitive switch.
The kit consists of a breadboard with some components, a battery and its charging PCB, and a 20cm-long electric wire that leads to the aluminium foil used as capacitive sensor.

The lamp switch on and off randomly when in proximity of things, particularly as it nears other electronic devices.
I believe this is due to electromagnetic interferences (EMI) affecting the electronic components.

I'm wondering how I could fix the problem. I know EMC is a bit of black magic, but perhaps there are simple steps to address the issue, at least partially?
I don't think I'm confident enough to delve into active shielding, so I'm looking for simpler passive options. Perhaps someone can help me find a good solution?

Would it work to wrap my breadboard with aluminium foil?
Is it possible to use a shielded cable for the 20cm cable leading to the capacitive sensor (aluminium foil)?
Also, I have found electronic PCB using capacitive switches. Some parts seem to be covered with a yellow paste. Could this paste be a shield? Could I use something similar?
IMG-0948-copy.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Is it possible to use a shielded cable for the 20cm cable leading to the capacitive sensor (aluminium foil)?
Likely where I would start. I would use a short length of coax and make sure the shield is grounded at the board. Then worry about a shielded project box for the board.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the tip. Capacitive sensor cable cannot be shortened, but I'll try the coax anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back