Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrolytics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdp12345

In a certain diagram, there is an electrolytic that's 250uF.
Because, I don't see 250uF electrolytics, I'm trying to place
2 electrolytics in series and here is my question. I have a
100uF & a 150uF electrolytics. If I add them together I'd get
250uF (100uF+150uF) right?

How do I do this? There is a + side and a - side to an electrolytic.
I would have these electrolytics connected to the output of an LM386.
The project I'm trying to do is an audio amplifier. And it calls for a 250uF electrolytic that connects from the output of the LM386 to an 8-ohm speaker.

Can someone shed right as to the series connection of these 2 electrolytics?

Thanks in advance.

jp[/img]

Caps are different then resistors. Resistors, if you put two 1000 ohms in series you would get 2000 ohms, and in parellel you would get 500 ohms.
With caps it is the opposite, if you put two 200 microfarad in series you would get 100 microfarads, and in parellel you would get 400 microfarads. So you see, by you putting your 100 mic and 150 mic in series, you would only get 60 microfarads, thus not achieving what you wanted. But if you put the two in parellel, you will achieve 250 mic. So both +'s tied together and both -'s tied together should do the trick.

On another note, when replacing caps (or your building your own project), do not ever go under or above the value labeled in the schematic (or what you calculated). And do not ever put one in with a lower voltage unless it still exceeds the voltage present there. But you can always put one in with a higher voltage rating.

I hope what I have told you had answered your questions.

thank you herbymcduff

Thank you Herby,

That's great help. Now, I know more than yesterday.
hehe.
Thank you very much for your assistance Herby.

-jp

Your welcome. If you want, you should probably pick up a basic electronics book. It will generally be able to answer all your basic questions about electronics. Good day.

If you want to look at a basic electronics tutorial on the web go to ...

**broken link removed**

and download it.

Have fun learning.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back